Sea Scout SEAL Training

http://www.seascout.org/about/program/training_resources/seal.html

As many of you know we are a new Sea Scout Ship.

We went to one Region activity so far and it seems or seemed that there is different types of Sea Scout Ships. At one far end there seems to be the very military spit and polish Ships. These seem to be very much about marching and drill. At the other far end there are the more, dare I say Venturing types, that don't wear uniforms and from what I seen were very much like a disorganized church youth group.

Talking things over with our members they said that they don't want to be at either end, but want to not be the youth group type. They want to wear both the working uniform and the dress white uniform. They all own a copy of the Sea Scout Manual and are working from it.

I have a Mate who is ex-navy and tends to lean to the spit and polish side. He isn't that great with kids, but his heart is in the right place and he knows of things nautical. Which is more than useful in Sea Scouting.

If I died and went to Sea Scout heaven, I couldn't have been blessed with two better Sea Scouts than the two who are serving at present as the Coxswain and the Coxswain Mate. These two are just out of this world.

They spoke with a guy who had served as Skipper for SEAL and they both know that they will have to work their socks off to be Seaman Ordinary and have a good enough working knowledge of chapter four of the Sea Scout manual if they are going to attend the training. They are both very bright, enthusiastic and very determined.

I was very put out when this Skipper told our Coxswain, that he didn't think he would be accepted because he is going to be to old!

The Lad turns 18 on news years eve. He has said that he is taking a year off before he goes to college (That is up to him and his parents - I don't see me allowing OJ to take a year off.)

I really do see that younger Sea Scouts would be able to give more back to the Ship, if they stay in the program? But being as we are so new an older SEAL graduate would be a big help (The Mate is only 16)I know that spaces are very limited. But we have a program that runs until they reach their 21st birthday. Discriminating about age just seems wrong to me.

If we are lucky enough to get both on the course I'm hoping that we can get Long Island Sound and

Miami.

Eamonn

Sounds like your group is off to a great start. Going to regattas is always one of the highpoints of the program for the kids. They get to know each other and look forward to meeting at the next regatta. It also really helps you to decide what kind of unit you and your kids want, as you mentioned.

I have always preferred the Navy uniform to others and nowadays the national committee is pushing that. The problem with it is it's very difficult to teach the kids how to wear it correctly. I just can't abide outgrown uniforms (bony arms and legs sticking out a few inches from sleeves and cuffs) and would much rather see a unit in a nice looking homegrown outfit than improperly worn uniform.

Regardless of the uniform your unit wears, I always recommend the adults have a proper Navy style uniform to wear at roundtables and council events. It really stands out and promotes the program. I was at a council dinner last year and was talking to the new Council President who was about to be installed. He said to the Scout Exec: "I'm told I can wear any uniform from any of the programs and that's the one I want!" Indicating my uniform. We made sure he got one. :)

Kahuna

Many thanks for the kind words.

Uniforming has become a headache!!

I followed all the instructions given on both the web site and in the Sea Scout Manual, to the letter.

In my funeral plans I have that I want the Battle Song of the Republic played. But after spending prolonged periods of time listening to it while on hold to the US Navy, I'm thinking about having God Save The Queen!!

On my fifth call someone was kind enough to give me the extension number of the person I wanted to talk to. On my tenth call I finally got to talk to her and she informed me that all the stuff I'd faxed was to the wrong number.

Sixty more times of hearing The Battle Song and I found out that everything was in order.... But we had to wait to be given an account number -That was November 4th!!

So plan B was to use Ship's Stores and of course they didn't have the items in stock that they show on their web site.

Plan C?

I talked with the Mate from the National Flag Ship. He said that for Work Uniforms they wear Dickie's Chambray shirts and blue jeans.

Knowing the jeans that my guys wear (They have to hold them up to walk!!) I didn't think that it was such a good idea. He said that they pick up the shirts at Wal Mart.

I looked and Wal Mart doesn't carry Chambray!!

J.C Penny, does, but they cost $22.00 each.

I had found someone who would embroider the Sea Scout BSA Strip on the shirt for $4.00. Still I'm kinda cheap, so I did the ebay thing. That's a real pain.

After some detective work I found the company that supplies the Navy. They are willing to sell me pants and shirts that they are calling ill-regular for $7.50 each. I can live with $15.00!!

I'm still going to have the strip embroidered and my thinking is that while we are having that done we might as well have the Flag and the Council strip sewn on at the same time. This would bring the cost of the shirt up to about $22.00.

Some of the Scouts want to attend the NE-Region Ball in March. It seems a long drive from PA to NJ to spend $40.00 on a dinner where one of the choices is Meatloaf!! Plus the cost of the hotel room. For that they will need to have their Whites and I will need to move up from the Khaki.

My great hope is that by then we will have the account number from the Navy and will be able to order the Whites from them.

I haven't done all the math, but off the top of my head I think we should be able to do the Working uniform with patches for about $45.00 (Base ball cap $9.00, belt $4.00, Pants $9.00, shirt $22.00) Whites I think will cost maybe a little less. So for under $100.00 the Scouts will have both uniforms.

For the summer I would like to find a good looking pair of cargo type shorts to wear with the working uniform.

I'm always a little shocked when I price the Venturing Uniform and see that a basic uniform with long pants costs nearly $150.00 ($135.00 if you go with the shorts in place of the trousers.)

I really think that they are going to look sharp once we get all of our ducks lined up.

We are planning to hold our first Admissions Ceremony on December 4th. I'll try and take some photos and put them on MSN site.

Eamonn.(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

Wow, what a pain. I have been lucky in being retired military and being near Navy bases can just go in there and get the stuff we need. Much easier than listening to the Battle Hymn! :) This stuff is expensive no matter how you do it, but those whites, properly fit, look really sharp.

Hope you get your account number soon!