My crew wears the green shirt/grey shorts traditional Venturing uniform. My question is do the youth wear knot awards or patches for their awards?

Example One - Chris (age 20) is an Eagle Scout, was a Cub Scout with the Arrow of Light Award, earned the Hornaday Award and The Honor Award as a Boy Scout. He was awarded the Explorer G.O.L.D. Award and as a Venturer, he has been awarded the Silver Award, The Ranger Award, and the Venturing Leadership Award. What knots does he wear?

Mike

Chris would wear:

The Eagle Patch and AOL patch.

The Hornaday Award knot

Honor Award knot

Venturing Silver Award knot

VLA knot

Ranger bar

Explorer Silver Award knot (for the Explorer GOLD Award, if you can find one. Am suprised he earned it, because that award ended in 1998)

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with him wearing the Eagle and AOL knot instead.

Also, the Eagle, AOL, and Hornaday knot can be obtained on green backgrounds.

It appears Chris is just an example as he would have been to young to earn the Explorer Award.

I would also say he should wear the eagle and AOL Knot as he is over 18 and no longer a Boy Scout Youth. Which is the only ones to wear the eagle badge.

Venturing uniform policy (stated in both the Venturer Handbook and Insignia Guide) is that Venturers (who are 14-21) can wear the Eagle patch and AOL patch. They are NOT required to wear the Eagle/AOL knots at 18. Personally, I prefer ALL Venturers wear the knots for these 2 awards, but they CAN wear the awards.

In Venturing, you are a youth until you are 21!

• 3 weeks later...

emb021 said:

"Also, the Eagle, AOL, and Hornaday knot can be obtained on green backgrounds."

Did the BSA issue official knots on Venturing Green again? Or are you referring to non-BSA issue insignia?

No that I will split hairs, I have a Scouters Trainign Award, James E. West Fellowship, and Eagle Scout knot on one of my Venture Shirts that are in Venture Green, but not anywhere near official issue.

Just curious.

"Did the BSA issue official knots on Venturing Green again? Or are you referring to non-BSA issue insignia?

No that I will split hairs, I have a Scouters Trainign Award, James E. West Fellowship, and Eagle Scout knot on one of my Venture Shirts that are in Venture Green, but not anywhere near official issue. "

Nope. National still doesn't make them on green. I get my green knots from two sources, and recommend them to others.

Also, they are not 'Venture shirts' or 'Venture Green'. Rememeber, Venture is another program.

Michael Brown

Sure!.

My sources are-

Craig Murray: http://www.sageventure.com/venturing/knots.htm

(has a small selection, plus some nice additional items)

Venturing Crew 697: http://www.geocities.com/venturing697/crew.html

(don't agree with some of the knots they make. Some should NOT be made on green, but they make a wide range and very nice, too)

I've used both, and have never had a problem.

>I have a bunch now from Crew 697.

>

>Craig Murray's look very nice, too.

>

>Have you noticed any difference in quality between the two?

Initially, I found Craig's to be better of any of the repro green knots. The earlier stuff from Crew 697 weren't that good. Since then, they've improved and I don't have a problem with either. I find Crew 697's Sea Badge knots better then what I've seen from others, and use theirs on my uniforms.

I must have some of the earlier Crew 697 knots. I felt the colors were just a bit off, and that the dimensions were off from Ofiicial Supply Division stuff.

There used to be a group listed on the old Sea Scout site named 'Why Knot' and they seemed to have a full compliment of colors and knots, but sadly, I haven't been able to actually contact them.

And, I agree, Knots like the Youth and Adult Religious awards, the DAM, and others not on a 'uniform' backing color, shouldn't be altered to match.

>I must have some of the earlier Crew 697 knots. I felt >the colors were just a bit off, and that the dimensions >were off from Ofiicial Supply Division stuff.

Yeah, the first bunch weren't quite there. Their stuff now is fine.

>There used to be a group listed on the old Sea Scout site >named 'Why Knot' and they seemed to have a full >compliment of colors and knots, but sadly, I haven't been >able to actually contact them.

I never was able to contact them. Seemed the person doing it didn't quite have the time to respond, etc.

The knots at the Ship's Store are great (and cheap) if you're looking for white/navy knots. But I don't care for their Sea Badge knot.

>And, I agree, Knots like the Youth and Adult Religious >awards, the DAM, and others not on a 'uniform' backing >color, shouldn't be altered to match.

Yup. If its not on tan, don't change it. DAM and Distinguished commissioner shouldn't be changed. Changing the Community Org knot (gold on purple) gives you the Spurgeon knot (gold on green) and special use knots if you do it on white. BIIIIG mistake on their part.