I spun off a new thread because the title of the old one, "venture uniform," uses incorrect terminology. "Venture" refers to older boy high adventure/sports patrols in Boy Scout troops.

As for the VenturING uniform, it is not necessary to have BSA-issue gray pants or shorts to be in the official "recommended" BSA Venturing uniform. You need the BSA spruce green shirt, but any gray backpacking-style shorts or gray casual pants will do. See the Venturer Handbook. This is different from Boy Scouting, where only the BSA-issue green pants are part of the official uniform. There is no need to buy BSA-issue gray pants or shorts to be in the official, recommended BSA Venturing uniform.

Dan K

Hi Dan,

Welcome... I would like to help you a tad with your uniform statements. According to several National Publications the Venture uniform is whatever the Ventures want it to be. I appreciate the differences between a Crew and a Patrol. My point is that the Crew can decide ANYTHING/EVERYTHING in regards to their uniform. Now they should pick out pieces of the uniforms of other groups (for example they shouldn't pick a Boy Scout Shirt with green loops, and Cub Scout pants) but they can design their own tee-shirt and wear it with shorts, and flip flops. While this might not be dressy enough for some, it would work. You're right that you CAN pick the green Venturing shirt, BUT you don't HAVE to pick that either.

Very true -- I'm ONLY talking about folks who choose to wear the official "recommended" uniform: the spruce green shirt from BSA and gray pants. That uniform is totally optional for crews, who also can choose to create their own uniforms or have no uniforms at all. My point is simply that if you choose the official "recommended" uniform, you DON'T have to buy the gray pants or shorts from BSA in order to be in the official recommended uniform.

Dan K