Any Troops Doing Child Sponsorship?

I have been considering the pros and cons of my Troop participating in a child sponsorship program like Save the Children, World Vision, Compassion etc.

Does any one have experience in Scouts doing this?

I will print off the discussion for my PLs to read so pls write to them rather than me.

Looking for benefits and agencies so that they can make a good decision on whether to participate and what form this might be.

Thanks for taking the time.

Darn this trans-pacific fog! So many things are not understood on the other side. It is too easy to assume. I must admit that a lot of the US postings make no sense at all.

By child sponsorship I mean paying an amount each month to feed and educate a child in a third world country via an agency such as I mentioned.

Had not thought of sponsoring a child in my own country. Has some merit though.

Was not thinking of Scout exchange at all. Do you have a link as we have a program but am interested in seeing what you do in comparison?

understood, not a problem . . .

What you're planning to do sounds good. Never thought of that kind of project. It does sound interesting.

As for Scout Exchange, We do participate with Scouts from Korea and Japan as a district though. I'll get more information from our district here as to how they actually coordinate it though. I know Council is not involved with the program and it really gets under their skin when we do things on our own but can you blame us when were 7 hours away by plane.

Matua