background checks and procedures

This question is primarily for the pros out there. Volunteers who have knowledge of the subject, please chime in.

When a new adult application comes in and the background check is compete, what are the procedures to be followed if the background check reveals that the adult will be rejected?

How quickly is a background check completed? I have been told it takes about 48 hours.

How long does an adult application sit around at the Scout office until it is processed and a background check initiated?

If the background check comes back where a person is to be rejected, who is notified? Is a letter sent out to the individual? Does the institutional head of the sponsoring organization notified? Is the unit committee notified?

Should the background check reveal that the adult is a convicted sexual offender, does the BSA have an obligation to inform the unit for the protection of the youth and other adults?

With all the recent scandal, there must be a written SOP to follow.

On most of your questions I am really not sure. But this, http://pushies.com/documents/28-105_PMSML.pdf, is the document they follow(it is the 2008 revision so it might not be exactly the most current info)

There are three categories of offences,

Category I Offenses - applicant will be disqualified from membership in the Boy Scouts of America regardless of any other factor.

Category II Offenses - applicant may be accepted as a member in the BSA at the request of the applicant, upon the recommendation of the chartered organization, and with the concurrence of the Scout executive (or designee), based upon an evaluation a list of criteria

Category III Offenses - the Scout executive (or designee) may determine that it is advisable to discuss the offenses with the chartered organization, agree on the processing of the application, and receive verbal or written approval to accept the application.