do we really need COs anymore?

GW I have a question.

How many troops are led by SM and ASM's that are parents of the boy's in the program, and then promptly leave after their boys get out of scouting.

I am the CM now. But I am ALSO a member of the American Legion. I also have a son who is in the program, and one who will be in it in a few years. Do I meet the requirements as you say.

We do have some interest from the Legion. They're not knocking down the doors but they like having the boys there and want to be more involved. We are working on that issue, and things are looking up. We are trying to take things one step at a time.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"How many troops are led by SM and ASM's that are parents of the boy's in the program, and then promptly leave after their boys get out of scouting."

Sadly, far too many.

"I am the CM now. But I am ALSO a member of the American Legion. . . . Do I meet the requirements as you say."

Are you there because you are a member of the Legion or because you are a dad?

"Are you there because you are a member of the Legion or because you are a dad?"

I joined the Legion because I was asked to for two reasons. Yes the first was for the Cub Scouts. But the Commander said that he would not force me to. But he did ask that I join for the camaradie and membership benefits of the legion due to my veteran status. I had been meaning to join but these were just more reasons. I go to legion meetings as a member of the legion AND let them know how things are going in the Scouts. I participate in Legion functions as a member, like putting the flags up on Memorial day and 4th of July and take part in other legion functions when I can.

Yes you are right that there are too many Parents in Scouting that only stay around for the time that their child is in. I would like to change that. I would like to stay in our pack as long as I am needed, and until I find a suitable replacement. If that means staying as a CM for 3 years past my youngest leaving and moving into Boy Scouts, then if that is what it takes then I will do that. I think that the Cub Scout program is a great start and will greatly benefit the boys and I do not want to see that fail in this community. I got great benefit from scouting, and I hope to not only give my children that, but other boys of the community.

GW I hope that this answers your questions. And yes, I have got my BALOO training. There are a couple of dates coming up for NLE and postiion specific. I plan on being in those. I got the BALOO first because it was available and I did not want us to have to cancel outdoor activities.

You are to be applauded for your desire to stick around. The CC for my son's pack quit the day that her son crossed over, didn't even finish out the year.

I've been thinking of all the Scouters that I know and there are only a few who are involved without having kids in the unit. Most were Scouts and became ASMs after they turned 18 and just stuck around.

I do know two SM who have no children but in both cases were asked by their church to help start a Scout unit. Both said that they'd do it for a few years. One's been in place for over 30 years and the other for nearly 10.(This message has been edited by Gold Winger)

I know of our local troop that had something like that. The SM recently retired from SM position after 25 years. He is still involved, but not as the SM. I think that he is on the Committee or he may just be an additional hand.

I hope someone one day will be saying the same about me, because I believe in the program and know of the benefits.

Here's to manyh future years in scouting.

Sct Dad

"I've been thinking of all the Scouters that I know and there are only a few who are involved without having kids in the unit. Most were Scouts and became ASMs after they turned 18 and just stuck around."

Well, my experience is that most scouters I know fall into one of two categories:

* joined scouting because their kids joined. Many of them stayed even after their kids aged out (who themselves may have also stayed)

* joined scouting as a kid and stayed on as adults (tho may have gone inactive from time to time during certain 'life changes').

its very very rare I run into anyone who isn't in one of those 2 groups.