Warm and Cuddly Commissioners.

I think I might have read way too much into the word obligated, when MVScouter posted:

" we are obligated to do uniform inspections for the units we oversee."

MV,please accept my apology. I'm sorry.

Most of the people I have met who serve as Commissioners are really nice people.

Sadly a lot of volunteers don't know or understand the role a Commissioner plays or should I say is supposed to play.

I feel almost certain that if I were to quit now. That there would be a few postings saying Commissioners are the biggest waste of space ever.

If your thinking of posting such a thing? Please don't bother!!

It very well could be that I might be guilty of "Over-playing" The idea of a friend to the unit?

As we all know. The Commissioner is not (Well in most cases is not!!) a member of the unit.

Commissioners receive their "Commission" from the Council Executive Board, on the recommendation of the District and Council Commissioners.

Commissioners come in all shapes and sizes.

Some are "Old Hands" who a deep knowledge of the program or programs. Some may be fairly new to Scouting and still be finding their feet. When I was serving as District Commish, I tried my best to assign new Commissioners to problem free?? Units.

Our Council Commissioner is a super nice fellow, whom I really like and get along with. He however wasn't so sure when I was trying to recruit Unit Commissioners and said that a good quality for a Unit Commissioner be that they are "Warm and Cuddly"!!

Many non-commissioners view the Commissioner Staff as being some sort of spy.

In some ways they are right!

A good Unit Commissioner does report how the unit is doing to the District Commissioner and if there are problems these get reported further along the line.

Still my view of the Unit Commissioner and the other Commissioner Staff, is that they should be the resource person for the unit, who at times can offer real and impartial advise.

Because he or she is not a member of the unit, it is important that he or she remembers that he or she is not a member of the unit and act like a guest.

Sadly some members of the Commissioner Staff do forget and worse still some are on some kind of a Power Trip.Some come off sounding like "Know it alls".

It might be worth mentioning that the Commissioner is a Friend of The Unit, not just the adult program people (Leaders.) There have been occasions when someone from the CO has requested that a Commissioner look in and see what's happening and a good Unit Commissioner will be as involved with the management side along with the program side.

The idea that Mr. Unit Commissioner turns up at a meeting uninvited and informs the unit, that today is their lucky day, because today he is doing their uniform inspection! Seems not to go along with being very friendly!

There are of course nice ways of asking or broaching the subject.

Still if the unit doesn't want it or doesn't want him to be there the unit can tell him /her to take a hike! Of course again there are nicer ways of saying that!!

At the end of the day, I'm not sure of the value of these Uniform Inspections?

A unit with poor or improper uniforming is never going to invite the Commissioner to do the Inspection.

A unit with great uniform standards will, but they know they are good! So maybe they just want a pat on the back.

If the Commissioner goes too easy? He will be accused of wasting their time! If he gets too tough he will be accused of nit-picking.

I really think educating people about correct and proper uniforming is the better road to take.

If and when something is not right the warm, cuddly, friendly Commissioner will find a good time and place to bring it up in a very friendly way.

Excellent post Eamonn

You have really nailed the duties of the Unit Commissioner right on the head. Every new unit commissioner should read your insights.

I have always tried to pick the brains of more experienced scouters because you never know what you can use yourself from the knowledge they impart.

My view as a UC is one of a resource person and helper. Through my experience, it can be very tempting for a UC to butt-into the affairs of a unit. Many a time, I've caught myself attempting to force my views on the unit's "doing business" as--"this is the way is has to be." That is not the role of a UC--being a butt-in-ski. I express my views when called upon and leave it at that. It is their show, not mine.

As to the uniform inspections, there are some units that would not be opposed and others that would not like it. What I did mine, I gave the troop a month's notice. There did not mind the inspection itself.

I had the SPL choose the best four uniforms for correctness and neatness and he gave them special patches. If I do this again, I may try your suggestion.

MVScouter (Wes)

"What I did mine, I gave the troop a month's notice. "

When I was a COR, Mr MVScouter,

Had you called my SM, CM, or CC and said "A month from now I'll be inspecting your unit's uniforming"...

My next call would be to the DC and the DE, asking "Who is this guy and why does he think he's going to be allowed in the door of one of my units?"

You missed the point of Eamonn's post: You, sir are a GUEST in the unit, there because you are invited, or there gathering facts at the request of the District Key 3. In the latter case you jolly well better be talking first with the IH and COR, because the Chartered Partner is the owner of record of the unit, NOT the unit serving Scouters.

It might be that the Uniform Method is the least of my problems; I have a bigger problem with unit serving Scouters understanding the Advancement Method. You respond to the needs and requests of the unit, not to your own policies and procedures agenda.

Around my VFW and its Scouting programs, PERMISSION is better than forgiveness for external visitors.

"Every unit, every month" Unit Commissioners are tasked with visiting ALL units they are assigned (by the DC) no less than once a month. These visits are not only for a uniform inspection, nor should they be perceived as such.

UCs must call before visiting and schedule at the units conveniance the best time to visit. Also, visits are recommended to take no longer than 15-30 minute max.

John, does your unit have a policy exluding visitors?

Our chartered partner had a policy restricting access to the property by non-members or by guests of sponsored organizations without prior permission.

Since they also lease their facility for banquets and parties, this is reasonable and proper. It allows them a mechanism to get "crashers" off in short order through the Gendarmerie.

I agree, a UC should visit at least monthly. He should coordinate his visit in advance with the CC or the SM. When he says "I am going to do this" is where the red flag slams down. It should be "May I do this?"

It may be the CC and/or SM have bigger issues and support needs than what the UC proposes to visit on. Don't come to inspect uniforms if the CC asks you to revisit the BOR process! Don't come to discuss Adult Association if the SM asks for some help educating adults on the Patrol Method.

Dos that make sense?