Meaningful Camping Awards

Hey All

I recently accepted the role of District Camping Chair and am looking for ideas others have used for annual awards from the District to recognize units that been active in camping, hiking/backpacking etc. Way back in my youth the troops in our District were very motivated to earn the coveted "Dusty Boot" by hiking more miles per scout than any other unit. Would such an award resonate today?

The "Dusty Boot" sounds like a great Unit award, but I'd suggest having some sort of token for each of the boys in that unit. The key I think is to bring the awards down past the Unit Leaders - directly to the boys. Present the Rusty Boot at a District/Council Dinner, but then be sure to get a Scouter down to that Unit's next Troop Meeting and present a cache of mini-prizes to the Scouts.

How about "Rubber Ducky" or "Golden Poncho" Award? Sort of a goof prize for the unit that spends the most days out in the rain. Bring a little humor to the crowd that's felt snakebit by bad weather all year. Again a token for each boy would really work here. Each boy could get a yellow poncho, etc. . . .

"Cracked Paddle" for the unit that does the most boat/canoe camping or does the most white water that year.

"Camping Critters" award for the Cub Unit that logs the most time out of doors.

Beyond Afoot/Afloat are there other 50 miler awards? Cycling? Maybe a Cub 50 miler for Units that do that much in a year?

jd

You could do a frostbite award for troops that tent camp in below freezing//below 0 weather

the "wanderer's award" for the troop that travels the furthest while camping

The William Sycamore award for the most primitve/frontier camping

Actually the possibilities are endless, the only catch as I see it is getting troops to provide enough information to determine your award recipients

Making a goal of half of the district to earn the National Camping award would be great as well