Hiring a Scout Executive

from another thread, this is how I understood a Council Exec to be hired

The council president appoints a selections committee. The region helps them develop a profile of what they want. National selects the records of 6 or so professionals who seem to fit the bill.

The committee meets again, reviews the paperwork and decides which 3-4 to bring in for an interview.

They meet again to interview them and then make a decision and an offer.

How far off am I ? Like Fr. Belanger used to always say, its not what you dont know, its what you think you know that just aint so

OGE

I thought we clarified this on the other thread. What you said here is true, but what you don't know is that it is regional who decides which names to give the council based on the past reviews of the former SEs that served there. So in essence regional stacks the deck with candidates that they feel will best serve that council and who have expressed an interest in relocating to that area. For example when I was a Sr. DE I was offered a promotion to my choice of large councils in the western region. An SE is given similiar choices when they inform region they are interested in moving on. The rule of thumb is you always move to a larger council. An SE before he leaves does an evaluation on the whole council, staff, volunteers, community resources, etc. so that the regional office has a profile on every council to help them decide who the best available candidates would be. So the selection committee hires one of the guys that regional wants them to, just like in business.

The local council executive board also has input into that core selection. They can ask regional for candidates who are, strong in financial skills etc. And Regional also looks at he administrative needs of the council and sends candidates who have tools they feel will help the council.

The local executive board can view several resumes and make many inquiries before selecting three candisates for interview. If none of those work out they can request another three to interview.

I don't see that the Region is "Stacking the deck." Sure there are lists of people who are eligible for promotion, and people who for one reason or another want to be promoted or leave where they are at. The Council does not have to go with the first list and could go through lots of lists.

I see what the Region does as trying to help.Not as stacking the deck, the final word comes from the volunteers, we make the final choice.

Eamonn.