Keep an ailing Scouter in your thoughts and prayers.

Former Boy Scout and Scoutmaster, Pope John Paul II is gravely ill. As most people are aware he has been ill for some time but has carried his tremendous personal pain with grace and humility.

The Pontiff speaks lovingly in his books of his days as a Boy Scout and Scout leader in Poland, and how his time in the outdoors brought him closer to God and to his calling as a priest.

Over the years he has been a quiet by forceful leader of change and stability in much of Europe and other regions of our world. He is greatly respected by people of many cultures and creeds for his leadership and example of faith.

He has been a pillar of committment in maintaining the values and beliefs of the Catholic church throughout the world, dispite the strong social and political efforts made to have those values changed or abandonded.

I pray that God relieves John Paul of his pain and returns him to his role here on earth, or in God's Kingdom.

Bob White

I never knew the Pope was a Boy Scout. Yet another reason to admire the man.

You are right, he has been one of the greatest figures of the 20th Century and surely will be missed when his time is up.

May God continue to bless His Holiness.

I learned of his scouting connection when I got to read a congratulatory letter from the Pontiff at an Eagle Scout Court of Honor about 8 years ago. In it he mentioned his time as a scout. A priest who was there told us of the Pontifs mention of scouting in a book he wrote.

I have not seen any mention of it in the news coverage so far or found any info on the web about it.(This message has been edited by Bob White)