Girl Scouts and Patrol Method

Last night I finished my GS leader specific training for the Junior program (9-11 year old girls). The patrol method was mentioned as one of three governance models, but not given much time.

I'd like to hear from other scouters who have experience with GS and the patrol method.

I hope you're out there. I'm beginning to wonder if anyone follows this forum....

The patrol method works if and only if your troop is big enough to support 2 or more patrols. A Patrol being 6-8 girls. It also works if and only if the patrol leaders are properly trained to led. Plus the troop needs to have a Court of Honor/ Patrol leaders council to plan out the events and meetings. Otherwise it's just a girl with a yellow troop.

YIS

Rich

No, they do not publish anything on patrol leader training anymore. Keep searching ebay for when the old patrol leader handbook (comic book style) comes up for sale every now and again. The also through the 60's published two versions of the Patrol Book - one for Junior GS and one for Cadette GS - these are record books.

There are a very few resources available online from troops that are trying to implement the patrol system more fully.

I spend about $30 photocopying materials everytime we elect new patrol leaders in order to make older materials available to them. The old handbooks from the 50s and 60s (intermediate GS, junior GS, Cadette GS)had from 3 to 10 pages of information in them on the patrol system. Go vintage!!

I am in the process of attempting to self-publish materials for training patrol leaders in GS, but no idea when I'll be able to make these available as there are copyright issues.

Anne in Mpls

• 3 weeks later...