Methods of Girl Scouting?

Those 8 methods of Boy Scouting are inspiring. What are our methods? Have we ever set down and defined them? Looks like something like this is going to be discussed at our next national convention, according to a recent email I received on the GS trainers list.

So...

What are *our* methods?

Girl Planning?

Girl-Adult Partnership?

Handwork?

Outdoor program?

Uniform??

What say you all?

Based on my experience as an observer (my daughther is a Girl Scout) I would say that the methods of Girl Scouting include

Paperwork

Lack of cooperation

Infighting

Backstabbing

More paperwork

At least that's what I see on the adult end.

LOL! Foggy, thank you - I find a lot of value in the tongue-in-cheek responses as well. These examples do point out how often the things we spend time on really don't have anything to do with the program we hope to deliver to the girls.

I'm hoping that if we can define more clearly *what Girl Scouting is* (or what we hope it to be!) we can better maintain our focus.

I found this at the WAGGGS website:

"Our method of training is to educate from within rather than to instruct from without; to offer games and activities which, while being attractive to the girl, will seriously educate her morally, mentally and physically."

Girl Guiding by Lord Baden-Powell (1918)

The Girl Guide/Girl Scout method is the specific way we work with girls and young women to achieve the mission of WAGGGS. It is an integrated approach with certain key elements:

Commitment through the Promise and Law

Progressive self-development

Learning by doing

Teamwork though the patrol system and training for responsible leadership

Active cooperation between young people and adults

Service in the Community

Outdoor activities

Symbolism

The GSUSA website does't hae much to say on methods, but focuses more on the four program goals. I would say that any valid GS method would have to help in achieving those 4 goals. The WAGGGS "key elements" seem to be a mix of methods and goals. Clarity is needed :)

Found the official wording from WAGGGS:

Member Organizations must also adhere to the Girl Guide/Girl Scout Methods, which are: Progressive Self Development; Learning by Doing; Teamwork through the Patrol System; Service in the Community; Outdoor Activities; Active Co-operation between Young People and Adults; and Symbolism.

This came from http://www.wagggsworld.org/newsroom/documents/pdf/WOSM/Fundamental%20Principles.pdf which itself is an interesting read.

More later...

Anne in Mpls