Wonderful Day All

I had an interesting experience this morning. We took my almost 13-year-old daughter to the bus for camp. Not a scout camp, a church camp. I know, I forgot too. There are other camps besides scout camps. Anyway, this is the first time in a long time that I was not one of the adults in charge or responsible for this group, much less even going. I was just a parent standing and waiting for the bus to shut its doors and leave the parking lot. It was fun watching from the other side. Same as scouts, there are two different groups huddled together laughing and talking at world record speed. One excited and slightly nervous smaller group who I immediately identified as the new kids who have not been yet, and the other group of been their done thats. Same as the scouts, but much clearer when you not the adult everyone is trying to ask those last few questions of how much should and what happens if.

While the moms giggled in their uncertainty, the father of my daughters best friend walked over and ask, I guess youre used to this, arent you?. Yes, I said with smile. But I wasnt thinking about that really. I was thinking back at my first summer camp to Slippery Falls Scout Ranch in Oklahoma. That crisp clear cool early sunny morning with all the scouts in full uniforms. Me running to my patrol and jabbering about everything, but saying it so fast that it came out as nothing. There was the smell of canvas tents and exhaust gas fumes from the waiting bus. And that energy in the air seems to make it all feel like a dream. I remember mom and dad hanging around with the other moms and dads just quietly watching me, and I wondering why they didnt go home since I was in the care of our Patrol Leader. It was just summer camp for goodness sake. But I learned 25 years later that it was more than just camp. It was the first time one of their children was leaving for any real length of time. It was the first time they were catching the first glimpse of their oldest child turning into an adult. For them and many of the first year parents, it was the start of a week that seemed like a month. It was the beginning of the next stage of parent hood.

That was early 70s and the school bus had no A/C. a couple hours on I-35 and all the windows were open in hopes that the breeze would push the almost 100 degree air out the bus. There was singing and jokes. The older scouts telling stories (slightly scary and untrue) to the younger guys. And the adults up front chatting among themselves.

Im not going to summer camp this year. We have a new SM taking the reins and my sons are taking me to Philmont for two weeks. But as I stood there watching my daughter going to her first weeklong summer camp, I was pulled through a lot of emotions. Parenting, adult scout leadership, and perfect youthful scout memories. All of a sudden, I wanted to trade my Philmont trip for summer camp. I envy all of you going to camp this year. I will be thinking about you as I sip my coffee on the way to work. My memories will help my coffee have that fresh brewed summer camp taste as I reflect on those crisp cool mornings. There is that sliver of time between watching the sunrise over Troop 386 and when the SPL gets up to wake his troop. Its that precious time that seems to stop for a just a moment while God smiles on the troop.

Driving home this morning from delivering my daughter to her first experience of self-independence, I realized that watching the new SM take MY Troop to camp without me was just the beginning another phase in my life.

As one adult leader to another, you all are the best. You give so much and get back so little. You are Gods blessing to our sons. Thank you.

I love this Scouting Stuff.

Barry

Excellent post, Barry. I don't have any children, but have had the experience of turning a troop over to someone else.

I'm going to save your post. I felt a wash of emotions as I read it.

Thanks for the memories . . .

Dave

Thanks Barry.

After a not so great day, so far !!

This helped put the spring back in my step, and cast asunder, some not so nice thoughts that were doing the two step in the old noggin.