Making Popcorn Sales a Fun Activity

I've never been involved much in popcorn sales, but I'm interested to see if I can devise a fun way to kick off popcorn sales for the smal Troop I work with.

Safeway usually permits Scout units to sell popcorn in front of it's stores.

I'm considering a Saturday activity for the Troop where we would set up a stationary bicycle and promote the idea of buying popcorn to support the bicycle relay race.

Anyone making a sale from a Scout earns the Scout the right to bicycle a certain distance based on the dollar amount of the sale. We'd have a board to keep track how far each Scout has pedalled and the total distance on the relay race.

There could be lots of ways to dress up this basic idea of having a showy way to attract attention.

Are there any veteran popcorn Colonels who would care to comment?

Seattle Pioneer

Somehow this sounds horribly like a dunking booth to me. Must just be some sort of flashbacks!

My fave way to promote sales is to offer free samples. Get some small paper cups and offer people a chance to TASTE chocolate popcorn- often leads to a sale, and it is one of the few things they can't buy in the Safeway cheaper.

I also like doing things like showing off Scouting skills that involve sight, smell, motion, and interaction. Dutch oven cooking (kettle corn?) is great for this and pretty easy to do in a parking lot. Get the crowd nearby for other reasons and 'just happen' to have something to sell as well! (Might be a recruiting tool too!)

An added tip. If your boys are selling popcorn see if they want to be working on the Salesmanship merit badge. They will be doing almost every requirements.

Just the same with boys taking drivers education.

They will complete Traffic Safety.