Can't remember all the badge

I don't agree with twocubdad's use of horse hockey. I always heard it as horse puckey! But that's beside the point . . .

I agree whole-heartedly with his sentiment.

Good job.

DS

PS -- leader sheep rings true as well. This guy has a grasp of the subtlety of American Engligh that I really appreciate.

DS

Thanks for your input. Actually I do think the adults are a bit out-of-line, but all I have suggested to my son so far is that he bone up on the material. If he is up on the wiggit bits of the casting reel, how to set up a salmon rig, how to tie a reel spool knot, and the breeding cycle of a California yellow tail the ribbing should stop. At any rate he still is interested in fishing and has a pretty thick skin.

I think I might have read somewhere in the voluminous library of scouting literature something about "praise in public, reprimand in private"

Is it not the case, that these adults where reprimanding your son in public? Oh, they where just kidding around....how would their sons feel about such kidding around? Or they themselves.

I can't tell you how many Eagle Scouts I've charged in my 15 years in the profession. I can't tell you, not because it's secret, but only because I don't remember.

I tell them that I don't care if, years down the road, they know how to tie a square knot or cook a cobbler in a dutch oven. I do tell them that they should live their lives in such a way that no one ever says, "Him? An Eagle Scout? No way!"

It should be, "He's an Eagle Scout? Why doesn't that surprise me?"

We teach values. If we expected him to become an expert fisherman, we'd change our aims and methods. Tell your other adults to lighten up.

However, tell your kid that he should listen to the old man's advice and "bone up" on his knowledge when needed.

DS(This message has been edited by dsteele)