Low education levels, too much entrenched tribalism.

From Beavah's last post.

This rang a bell with me. This statement could easily be applied to much of our own country. And it is heading even closer to this in many segments. "Low, or poor education" is becoming a huge problem through out the country. And much of it is caused by poverty and cliquish attitudes, especially in the urban centers.

And while we might not actually call it tribalism, the trend toward "little this, or little that" neighborhoods, and the huge upsurge in gangs, equate to it more than we might want to admit.

Add to that the fears generated by media about certain religious groups, and the growth of militias and far "either side" groups and rhetoric, and we have major challenges right here "in the U.S. of A.".

I have thought for a while now that there is a certain amount of irony that there is so much paranoia about Al Queda, or similar terrorist groups; and that we need to knock them out "before" they get a foothold here. Yet, we mostly just give lip service to the already rampant terrorism we have here in the form of very violent and cruel gangs throughout the nation, especially in the largest urban area. What is really scary is that they are becoming more common in smaller areas as well. Yet, once more, these areas of police protection are often the first to get the axe in budget fights. If we spent even a quarter of the funds and effort thrown at the out of country fears, we might actually see some results.

But I am old and out of touch. I most likely just do not see the real picture, or understand.

i don't know how old you are, but there is nothing new about gangs or ethnic conclaves within big cities. Ever seen the movie or read the book"Gangs of New York?".It seems this has been and always will be part of the urban landscape. First generation immigrants tend to have connections here from their home country, and live in the same areas where they share a common language, can network, buy their ethnic foods ,etc..It's a survival mechanism for new comers.Alot of people come as refugees and are not highly educated, but some people are . It's my impression that people tend to ghettoize more if they are on the lower economic rungs of the ladder, so you get alot of kids from the same ethnicity and lower economic status going to the same schools. Then you get the generational cycle of poverty, where people just can't for whatever reason seem to break out. I see this as nothing new. But,what is new it seems is that degenerate behavior,over sexualized popular culture, horrible filthy language, sloppy dress and scantily clad women, violence , is totally accepted, celebrated, even encouraged by popular media. Being religious is seen as something out of the dark ages. All these rude behaviors used to be something in the juke joints and bawdy houses,or at least seen as degenerate, things that good girls and boys did not do. Now you cannot even watch network TV without encountering smut and bad language. Watch an episode of "Lost in Space" from the 60's. My God, it sounds like they are practically speaking Shakespear! That is why we do not even subscribe to cable TV, so much garbage.Even tho I cannot understand my neighbors who mostly speak Arabic, Amharic,Spanish, and other African languages, and we are in kind of a little ghetto type building, we have a great thing in common----the value of family. These immigrants come with strong family ties and respect for the family means something.It is a struggle for every parent here to fight against popular American culture.Everybody comes here to make $$$ and escape war and poverty. It is an uphill battle to work a low paying job, survive in the city, and keep your kids from absorbing every piece of garbage they are bombarded with.Thank God for organizations like Scouts, YMCA, church youth groups and schools that give a darn. I'm really scared of what High School will bring for my grandson. I just think our culture is permeated with filth, drugs, violence, and the kids are acting like wild animals.Is this progress? Number one problem---the demise of the family.Kids without a dad at home to kick their butt for acting up at school just tend to get big and out of control..who's raising the kids?Single parenting is darn hard!Look at marriage stats especially for African americans. Look at out of wedlock birth stats.But in this ---hey, anything goes, "The kids are all right" culture, who pays? The kids!Save a child, keep your family intact, preach those old fashioned Judeo Christian values and you can be part of the solution. And also, extend a hand to a struggling parent. A neighborhood used to mean something. Twenty sets of parents keeping an eye on you.Everybody in each others business. Those were the good old days.