BW, if the scout is not an Eagle after his BOR, then why as part of the closing of the BOR the scout is welcomed as the newest Eagle Scout in the District by the BOR chairman? I do not remember the exact words but the scout is told that he has passed and is an Eagle Scout. Mention is made of the paperwork going to Nat'l but no reference is made that the final ok is to be done later by Nat'l. (to the best of my recollection)

Curious

yis

If that is done it is by error on a local level. If you read the Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures manual you would see that the Eagle is the one rank exception. The Eagle scout Rank is not bestowed by the unit as other ranks are it presented by the bnatinal office of the BSA, which is why eagle Courts of honor are considered National Courts of Honor.

The scout is not confirmed Eagle until approved by the National Board of Review. National then dates the award as of the date of the local BOR.

It's all in the scouting resources.

Bob White

ok - so let me get this straight -

A scout provides on his Eagle application the names of 5 people who are willing to give him a recommendation, including his minister.

it's handy if they already HAVE the letters to go with the application to the BOR and to national, but is is not required of the scout to provide them.

This particular scout did NOT have the letters in hand at his BOR, but DID have the names and contact info on the application; his BOR passed him, and now they are asking for the letter(s) - from the Scout?

What happens if the minister (or other reference person) is a disorganized person and "forgets" to send the requested letter? what if the minister gets transferred to another church, or dies during the process? In other words - if they don't GET the letter, for whatever reason (it's not the scouts responsibility anyway - he just provided the info), is national going to Deny him his Eagle?

From my understanding, it is up to the District Advancement Chair to get the letters of recommendation, not the Scout. As long as the Scout completed the application properly and listed 5 correct people who would be willing to give him a reference he has completed his part.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10