Prayers and Sympathies to our colleagues

My prayers and sympathies to our LDS colleagues on the death of Church President & Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley.

May the Great Master of all Scouts welcome him home, and continue to guide and teach his church through his successor in service.

B

I have to admit, the only way I found out about his passing was through the news media coverage that Mitt Romney stopped campaigning for Super Tuesday to attend his funeral.

I know the longest serving apostle (Munson) will now become the new president. Can anyone enlighten us on how a LDS apostle is chosen? Is it as simple as being chosen by the current president of the LDS church?

I'm not LDS, but I did play one on TV once...

Here's what my LDS friends have told me.

The president is called from the Quorum of the 12 appostles. He is, as a general rule, the eldest member of the Quorum. The president chooses 2 members of the 12 as his first and second councellors. This is called the first presidency.

The Quorum of the 12 calls from the quorum of the 70 to fill positions. The Quorum of the 12 calls the 7 brethren from the Quorum of the 70. The Q70 and Q12 constitue the General Authority of the church and preside over all church matters.

I gotta say, the LDS church is very structured.