Prayers for Kenya

As many of you know, the Kenyan Scouts Association has long been very strong, because of the nation's ties to Great Britain and because Lord and Lady Baden-Powell retired to Kenya. B-P's grave is in Nyeri. Kenya is also the Africa Region headquarters for WOSM, and we have a few BSA Direct Service units in Nairobi.

The word from Kenya is that things are "very bad" and "deteriorating." Reports are very sketchy. They have about 10,000 scouts who are from da large slums in major cities and are effectively homeless; some of those areas are among the worst hit.

As we debate da trivialities of "oppression" in the U.S., let us never forget that there are children and fellow Scouts facin' the reality of real oppression and fear around the world. My heart and my prayers go out to my brothers and sister scouts in Baden Powell's beloved Kenya. I hope yours join mine.

Amani Iwe ulimwenguni

May peace prevail in the world!

Beavah

Thank you Beavah, and while we're on the subject of global hot spots and tragedies in the making, can we please add the people of Pakistan to the list of people to pray for. I fear for what will happen next in that region.

Thanks Beavah.

I have a good friend, a Tanzanian Priest who lives in Nairobi. I haven't been able to contact him by email since before Christmas. he is the head of his order. I'm hoping that he was home in Tanzania visiting family when this all came down. Let's keep all of our brothers around the world in our prayers.

• 3 weeks later...

The following update is from Rubina Haroon, our WOSM Regional Director for Africa Region in Kenya. Please continue to keep our Scouting brothers and sisters in East Africa in your prayers.

Beavah

Dear Colleagues:

As you may be aware, last week saw three days of demonstrations called for by the Opposition, which resulted in 13 people killed in Nairobi alone including a 10 year old girl alledgedly shot by police in Kibera. Due to the level of violence, the Opposition have now called off mass demonstrations and have called for economic boycotts of businesses owned by Kibaki supporters, one of which is a bus company. There is speculation about the effect of this boycott but there will definately be a repurccusion on the average Kenyan worker with people not being able to go to work. I also now understand that there has been a call for another mass demonstration on Thursday despite the previous cancellation.

Reports from Kibera remain much the same - people are still angry and feel "cheated" by the election results and are not going to stop actions against the Government.

We are expecting former UNSG, Kofi Annan to arrive in Nairobi tomorrow to spearhead talks with both sides and can only hope that he will be ale to do what others have not.

This morning on the BBC there was an interview with a Kenyan who claims that several overseas investment projects have been cancelled and at the coast, tourism is at an all time low in the normally busiest season of the year. Schools have reopened in some parts of the country, but most parents either cannot get their children to school or are not comfortable and keep them at home. My son's school was closed three days last week and I am expecting it to be closed on Thursday if the proposed demonstration goes on as scheduled.

We will go to the office today and have our regular weekly meeting with staff. I am counting on their analysis of the day-to-day situation especially in Kibera to decide what happens the next day. I will also try to see the Kenya Scouts to ascertain what they are planning to do. I understand that some Rover Scouts have been helping with the displaced people across the street so they will have a eyewitness account and feel for the temparature.

The UN continues on the higher alert for the country and UN "non-essential" staff have been advised to work from home. I have a meeting with the UN this afternoon to work on a strategy for assisting youth affected and perpetrating violence in Kibera and other slums. This is being doine in coordination with the Red Cross and other NGO's, but has yet to get off the ground.

We can only hope and pray that there is a reprieve in sight for Kenya and her people who are suffering considerably.

Best,

Rubina M. Haroon

Regional Director - Directrice Regionale

Africa Regional Office - Bureau Regional Afrique