Adult awards - square knots?

In looking over stuff I came up with a question about the SM key award -

Is this for the actual SM ONLY - or can it be earned by ASM's, too? I'm not really clear on that.

As for Scot, we are looking at the

Award of Merit - which, as BobWhite pointed out is often awarded yearly at a district dinner. Ours is in November - (which was mentioned by our District commisioner)and there's a liklihood that Scot may not be around that long. So I had to point out that the application only says that we must apply 30 days before we expect to present the award.

Some people have a tough time breaking out of the "box" of established procedure.

So I guess I'm gonna have to push a little for this - but I want him to see and know how much we appreciate him - while HE can enjoy it!

Also, someone mentioned an 'Arrowhead' award? I can't seem to find anything on that. Any one know what it is or what it's requirements are?

lauraT

The siver Arrowhead Award is a commissioner service recognition and can only be worn on a commisioner uniform (one that displays a commisioner position of responsibility).

BW

Send your District Award of Merit nomination to the Advanncement Committee along with a detailed explaination of the window of opportunity for the presentation. Ask them if they feel his record merits the award and if they feel that it does, request it be presented outside the normal timeframe. Each district is limited to the number of DAMs they can present in a calendar year but they are not required to present them all at the same time.

Hope this helps,

BW(This message has been edited by Bob White)

The previous Scoutmaster Handbook (revised 1997) had two pages with pictures of square knots and shows 31 knots. However it doesn't give the award requirements. It also states that the square knot is representative of the metal pin-on awards or around the neck awards and are worn for convenience. I've learned that some metal medals are being phased out and only the sqare knot is available. Does anyone know anything about this? The uniform and insignia guide describe how the square knot is worn. The knot bite that is on top is worn to the wearers right.

Bob 58 is right, you don't have to talk nice to anyone if you don't want to.

However, the poor training committee does have their work cut out for them, not only presenting the training, but also keeping the records.

There was at one time codes that could be entered into Scoutnet, which would track all the training an adult leader, had taken. I'm not sure if they are up and running in other councils. I do know in my council,that it's not.

I rely on the Training Attendance Report, and then keep a record for each person. I'm very lucky we are a small council with only 3000 adults. But this does take a lot of time.

Things tend to get out of control, when the attendance report, is not handed in or is used as the sign in sheet, and can't be read.

At times even the simple task of recording the information can entail a lot of time on the phone.

So while talking nice, is not requierd, we do belong to an organization that does stress "Cheerful."

Ouch! I stand corrected. I agree that we should always be cheerful and "Do (Y)our Best!" I would hope that committee chairs are working their exec's for extra copies of anything (& everything) they can use to help promote the program. I know that that we do have many fine volunteers and professionals out there and hope that we all make it as easy as possible for those around us.