how can i get my scoutmaster to step down

hi, my scoutmaster is running the troop, he lets us "plan" the year, but before he does, he gives us a list of dates and things to do saying "i would like to see you do this" and we said we wanted to do a hike, so he jumped up right away "oh, lets the the AT trail, 22 miles, it will be hard" so every week we are doing hikes for our meetings, and when we have regular meetings, the SPL (who is unqualified for the posistion) has no clue on who "he picked" for the different posisitions and has no clue on the meeting, he will recieve a paper saying what we are doing today and all, i just dont know how to ask hi to step down, please mail me at pack100webpage@yahoo.com with your responces. THANK YOU

Saitou -

What role do you play in the troop? Have you ever served as SPL? Is this something you want to do?

We really need to know a little more about you before we can give you much advice. Before asking a SM to step down, I would encourage your PLC to step up. This may be tough to do, but they need to take charge of the planning process.

Ehh..what can you do? Some people are just like that...they love to take control and direct the troop to do what they want to do...

I've had a similar problem in my troop, and I've come to that conclusion. No, I've not necessarily given up hope; however, I've made that conclusion about the personality of the current scoutmaster. The patrol leader(s) and SPL/ASPL and other junior leaders seem to have the right idea about how the troop program should be run, and the scoutmaster TRIES to agree with them, he TRIES to implement what HE THINKS is "boy-led" program, but the boys only run the troop at his discretion, and this has often led to tensions between the scoutmaster and the scouts of the troop.

Don't worry about me though...I've seen that the scoutmaster/troop committee is slowly coming to give the scouts more and more responsibility and discretion in running the troop (meetings and outings) and in no time the troop should be run ideally. The transition into a boy-led unit is not often something that happens overnight; it requires much training and experience, both on the adult leaders' and the youth scouts' part.

How can you get your Scoutmaster to step down?

You can't!!

The Scoutmaster was selected by a committee and approved by the Chartering Organization. These are the people who "Hired" Him and unless he does something way out of line, and the Scout Executive finds reason to revoke his membership , the people who "Hired him." Will be the people who "Fire Him."

If you are really unhappy you can of course join another troop.

F.Scouter has some good ideas, but it will mean a change of mindset on your part. You will have to decide that you are going to work with the Scoutmaster and support him as he might try and change. If you do this there is no guarantee that he will change or things in the troop will change.

If you decide to use the material as a tool to challenge the Scoutmaster and "Rub his nose in it." You would be serving everyone better by not being there.

Why a Chartering Organization selects a person to lead their youth program is in their hands. Please believe me that there are times when the guys at the district level wonder why? Sad to say very often the guy or girl selected is selected because at the time they might be the person who is available and willing.

You and the Scouts in the troop, along with the District type people need to look at the Scout Law and Oath. Using them as your guide what can you do to make things better? How can you help this Scoutmaster? What part does Trustworthy, Loyal, and Obedient play in helping to improve things?

The first step might be to pick the right time and place to talk with the Scoutmaster and in a calm and polite way express your feelings. It could be that he needs help in an area that you might be able to help.

Eamonn.