Scouting is a game, not a science

"Scouting is a game, NOT a science."

I just thought we could use a reminder of this fact from time to time. I've noticed many people in this forum taking a more scientific approach to scouting, which I believe is an exercise in futility.

.....Just a random thought.....

Sure scouting is a game, but not just any game. Just playing games in a scout uniform isn't scouting.

Actually....Scouting is a specific method of education with specific learning objectives. Its based on needs and characteristics of youth at various ages and stages of development. So don't think there is no science involved.

Baden-Powell called it "a game with a purpose". But it isn't just about having fun, and B-P made that very clear. It is having fun while moving along a specific framework of methods to achieve a specific result. It is much more a fun way to learn, than just a game to play for fun.

We could have boys dressed in scout uniforms and have them play video games all day long and they would have fun, but that doesn't make it scouting.

The science of scouting is in the ability of adults to teach and share key values and ideals WHILE having fun doing it. That is the game of scouting.

Echoing my fellow posters. Yes, it's a game, but even games have a scientific aspect to them. I just got back from the first session of Woodbadge. A great deal of it centered around management and leadership theories that are being taught in classrooms and seminars around the world. Yes, it's a game. But, building a team to the point that they work together successfully takes more than luck.

I have given the "Game with a purpose" statement a good deal of thought. I do use it.

I like the idea that Scouting being a game makes me think it is fun.

I hope that like most good games that there are not a lot of hard to understand rules.

I don't like the idea that Scouting being a game allows people to change the rules.

If Scouting is a game it is the only game that I have ever played that never ends!!

I still don't know how to keep score?

Trying to keep the game ball and the purpose ball in the air at the same time is hard. Too many adults are using the purpose ball way too much.

If this is a game it really does give meaning to "How you play the game."

I like the idea that Scouting is an adventure.

Scouting is a game that requires players to follow the rules when they aren't playing.

And I agree with Bob.

Eamonn.

I recall a quote that B-P once remarked that Scouting is also an "experiment," which gives a bit of credence to the "science" (scientific method, at least) involved -- and perhaps also a hint to encourge us to "analyze" our "hypotheses," "methodologies," and "results" once in a while ...(This message has been edited by Pete T. Northmoss)