Rats! The thread was closed

Once, long ago in a galaxy far far removed from my present life, I was a Dept Manager for a Radiology Dept in a 400 bed hospital. When United Way time came round, we (the managers) were under quite a bit of pressure as in our evaluations and hence a raise if possible was partially based on the goal set for our Depts. And no, I never had a say in what the goal was for my Dept.

I had people who were dead set against giving to planned parenthood, so I would suggest scouting, the problem is, as we have seen, Planned parenthood really didnt suffer from this tactic and scouting got less than if the people contributed directly, but at least the hospital got credit for the donation. And thats the very least.

I remember a bilical tale about a Widows penny and how she gave it away without fanfare. For those who receive their reward on earth have received it, and those who dont tell anybody, they will receive their reward in heaven. I think I really butchered that, if someone can straighten it out, please do.

Anyway, in my area, where scouting still gets a portion, the United Way is run as a huge PR campaign for the local industries and who gives more is the focus. Individual employees are pretty well left out

The main reason I see is that companies have these big UW campaign drives where they encourage, arm-twist and darn near threaten you to give money to the organization. Those who don't give (in some companies) are labeled negatively, as if there are no other ways to be philanthropic.