Problems with Charter Organization

Laurie

Our CO demanded that we all submit new adult registations when we rechartered this year. One of our leaders who had been on the committee sent the merit badge form to the CO. I know that he didn't have to do that, but he did, and they denied him the right to teach the merit badge.

Our UC is the person that really messed this all up. He never tried to help resolve our problems. He just kept putting wood on the fire in regards to our CR telling him he could do anything that he wanted. As you know that is not true!! The CO executive has more power. By the time we contacted the CO executive, who is best freinds with the CR, it was out of control. The executive even told me that the CR was out of control but due to their relationship nothing could be done. I am convinced that our UC could have helped resolve our conflicts. Our main problems with the CR was a lack of paople being allowed to help the troop. An example is when the new libraian moved into town, her husband asked if he could be part of our troop. His credentials are impressive..A registered Maine Guide, ex-scoutmaster over 20 years of service, and as we speak hi is hiking the Appalachian Trail. The CR told him no thanks we have enough people. Our committee meetings consisted of the scoutmaster and the advancement chair. The CR and CC(also from the CO) rarely came to a meeting. We could have used his help. I am pleased to tell you the the ex-scoutmaster is very excited about helping our "new" troop!

We had over 3500 dollars in our account and and 2000 dollars in equipment. We voted to leave even if we had to lose it all! Because we did fight for it, most of it will be back with the new unit. The old CO will not be rechartering because there are no other boys to be found in our community. Our pack is very excited that we have moved on because they too felt that the old CO was very inedequate.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BobWHite

Tour permits were a major problem with our CO. No one was doing them! At the last minute I would do them and fax therm to our LC. I explained that our committee needed a outdoor program chair, who would be responsible for them. He would get angry at me for waiting for the last minute to do them, but I was not suppose to be the tour leader nor outdoor chair. I only did them at the last minute because n no one else would have and the trip would have to be cancelled. Maybe we should have cancelled one to get the CR to understand but would that had been fair to the scouts?

Explain to me why you are telling me this?

The last time you addressed me you had hopped on the bandwagon with a couple others to sling insults rather than discuss topics.

You have already left that CO, why dwell on the problems of the past? Why ask what to do if it is no longer and issue for you.

As long as you now have a new CO and a full committee to do the paperwork that's needed why do you continue to dwell on the past?

Boo-hoo-hoo, poor Bob White. Everyone picks on him. Of course he never does anything to bring it on himself, like questioning the honesty, motives or integrity of others.

(For those of you who have trouble with these things, the above was intended as satire, defined as "irony, sarcasm or caustic wit used to attack or expose folly, vice or stupidity.")

pdunbar -- I also have to wonder why you are bothering to post this for Bob White. In the past three days of this thread all he has done is criticize you based on what he assumes to be the motives of your COR. In that time he has added nothing substantive to the conversation regarding the rules in question. Now, by responding to Laurie's questions, you are "dwelling on the past." You're not going to win.

pdunbar: I wish you and the unit well in the new CO and hope that the type of problems faced don't come up again. The program really does work by the book, but personality conflicts, agendas (many bring personal agendas into the program too), and simply getting a group of people to agree and then act can be a challenge. FYI: our unit was folding not long ago, but it was saved using the resources BSA makes available and is now well known throughout the area as a success story in following the book. So, I do know a little of the what you speak of in making those choices about trying to make it work where you are or moving on. In our case, it was worth it to stay put and see the program grow into more of what it should be.

• 1 month later...

I'm curious, if the SM, ASM and some Den Leaders want to "take the pack elsewhere", can they do that? It appears from the conversation in this thread that the Charter stays with the CO and if the

SM et. el. don't like what's happening they are free to leave. Bottom line is does the charter stay at the CO until such time that the IH officially relinquishes it?

GearHD,

You have summarized the situation correctly. The unit exists only through a charter between the Chartering organization and the local Council. The unit is the outward expression of the Charter Organization's agreement to use the scouting program to serve youth in their organization or local community. Leaders cannot take the unit and go elsewhere, it is not theirs to take.

It is true they cannot take the unit 'de jure' for the CO owns it, but they can take the unit 'de facto' to another CO by taking the boys, the leaders and the parents to a new CO. I think that is what is meant by most who say that even if they dont know all the rules and regulations.

The unhappy individuals are free to seek out some community group willing to charter a new troop. They can proceed to recruit boys, adult leaders, procure equipment, etc. They basically need to start from the ground up. Starting a new unit IS A LOT OF WORK. And because people are different everywhere, there will be people in the new unit that will have differing opinions. I'd submit that in many cases, it might be a whole lot easier to mend the fences in the existing unit.