CO Happenings - Can they do that?

"It is my understanding, having spoken with the priest who is the Chaplain for Catholic Scouting and sits on the National Council for Catholic Scouting that every Roman Catholic diocese in the U.S. is now required to finger print every adult working directly with youth in the Church. I have worked with several troops in Roman Catholic churches in more than a few dioceses and every one was required to comply with this directive, as well as the youth protection."

Bob,

I understand this and don't have a problem with it. However, parents attending a pack meeting are doing just that...attending. They are not "working" with the youth. The leadership does that and are required to have a background check by the BSA. Background checks of attendees is overkill.

kwc57,

perhaps you missed what I wrote in the previos post that said"None however have required all the parents to to so as well. That would be the equivalent of having all the CCD (religious education) student's parents being screened, and that is not required or done."

That is why I agreed that Acc040 should follow through on his lan to go meet with the COR and IH not the office staff.

Bob White

Just checked with the SM at one of the Catholic churchs in my district & he tells me they are not required to be fingerprinted nor do they need to take a YP program offered by the Catholic church. Must be a local thing.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

"How do I get into the lucrative and ever growing field of background checking? (Yes, this was typed in jest.)"

Don't laugh too loud. Our school system REQUIRES that all applicants be fingerprinted at "Jim's Fingerprint Studio" at a cost to the applicant of $80. Somehow Jim got an exclusive contract with the School District.

Oddly, the county government (the people that fund the schools) does their own fingerprinting of applicants for free.