National BSA Office Site

The national office is now in Irving, Texas. It was formerly in New York City, New York and Brunswick, New Jersey. Did the office move from NJ to Texas and if so when (and not to get into a big diatribe but why)?

The offices of the National Council of the BSA moved to irving, Texas 24 years ago after being in NJ for 25 years. I believe the New Brunswick building burning down had something to do with deciding to move elsewhere.:) The Texas location I believe was a corporate donation.

Bob White

Thanks Bob. It is nice to think that the site was a corporate donation.

On my way to summer camp two weeks ago (about a three hour drive) I wore my "civies" and about five miles from camp, pulled into a restaurant for a quick bite to eat for me and the youth I was transporting. After I finished eating, I changed into my uniform. While waiting for the boys in the parking lot one passerby saw my uniform and struck up a conversation about scouting. He had been to Philmont and told me that the individual who started Phillips Patroleum (Mr. Waite Phillips) wanted to donate the land that is now Philmont, to the BSA. According to his story, the BSA did not bite stating that they did not have the money to manage it. He therefore included in the gift his 23-story Philtower Building in Tulsa, Oklahoma so that the BSA could use revenue from that building to finance the running of the ranch. Interesting story.

Very close to the Philmont story. Waite was actually a brother of the two that started Phillips Petroleum. Waite worked as an accountant briefly for the firm but then started his own company. Yes he did donate the 138,000 acres of land that is now Philmont to the BSA, but it was not done all at once. Yes he did donate Philtower to the BSA to pay for the maintenance of Philmont. There is also far more to the story, a good book to read would be Beyond the Hills, the journey of Waite Phillips by Michael Wallis.

Bob White

• 2 weeks later...