need solutions to fix what is broken

We have a troop were the sm wants jlt but is not willing to train or utilize them. Prime example the aspl is so frustrated that he is ready to quit. There are many discipline problems within the troop and the sm won't stand behind the jlt corp one they try to fix the problem. Now I know that they should not be handleing the discipline for the troop but if the sm or his assistants can't how will the jlt corp feel. I would appreciate any ideas on how to first of get the jlt corp moving. Secondly how to keep the sm from scaling back activities until the problems stop, because the problems never stop.

meatball,

Welcome! Interesting situation. Does you district or council offer a JLT training program? My district runs a program titled LLT (Learning Leadership Training). You can check out the course at http://www.bsa.net/pa/t1. Click on the LLT link. If so, get the Scout to it. Also, is the SM trained? If not, get him to training. He will see the light.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Hi meatball123,

sorry you are having so much difficulty in the troop. First. there are a lot of abbreviations in scouting and we are guilty of using to many sometimes on this board. Judging by the content of your post I'm Guessing that you mean the PLC(Patrol Leaders Council) and not the JLT (Junior Leader Training) when you talk about the troop leadership.

My best recommendatuion is Training. Work with your parents to encourage the troop committee to get all leaders trained in their scouting position.

If you are a Patrol Leader (PL), or an Assistant Patrol Leader (APL) I suggest you get the Patrol Leaders Handbook and read it. This will give you great tips on doing your job properly. There is also a Senior Patrol Leaders handbook that you could recommend to te Senior Patrol Leader (SPL) and any assistants (ASPL).

But quite honestly without a Scoutmaster (SM) that understands and uses the scouting program, you will not have the scouting experience you deserve.

Good Luck,

Bob White