Advancement Appeals

Doug,

You assume incorrectly.

I've served several years as a scoutmaster. I have never taken credit for the quality of the program beyond my role as the developer of boy leaders. I have always felt that the boys devloped and carried out the program hence "Boy" Scouts. I worked with the Assistant Scoutmasters, Committee Chair, Committee members, parents and the charter organization to see that the scouts had an opportunity for a true scouting experience. I never felt that I was more important than any other adult supporting the boys. If others felt I was, then I'm flattered. Did I spend the most time volunteering with the troop? Perhaps, but that is the role I agreed to take.

The flow chart you are so concerned over is only wrong by a squeek. It seems to ask the troop to try and settle the dispute in house before elevating it to the next level. however as in any appeal process, if the scout still feels he is not being dealt with fairly he can choose to go to the next level.

These appeals happen so rarely that this small error has no effect on the program. I guess I don't understand your concern.

Is it that you don't want the problem resolved in the unit level if possible?

Is it the ability of the scout to appeal advancement decisions?

Is it merely that the flow chart does not immediately send the scout to the next level, but gives the troop a chance to resolve the situation first?

Perhaps if you could clarify your primary concern I would understand better.

Thanks,

Bob

• 18 years later...

As I came across this tread researching a different issue, I wish to make an observation that does not, I think, conflict with any observation made or opinion expresesed, but may be important. 

A Scout neither passes nor fails a Scoutmaster's Conference - he has one. 

The Scoutmaster or his designee decides if a Scout has passed a given Requirements.

It has been our understanding for decades in our little corner of the World, that appeal from the denial of a rank, other than Eagle, which has its own detailed process, is to the District Advancement Committee, if you are fortunate enough to have districts.  Most such issues were resolved with out a formal hearing by counseling the adults responsible. God knows what happens now that our SE staged his putsch and replaced our districts with employee-run committees.