The new Guide to Leader Training

Well, thanks for telling me there was a new "Training Times" I think I looked about a week or week and a half ago.. It was a little easier when they put them out once a month.

Have not yet seen the new "Guide to Leader Training".. I would imagine that some lucky group got to look it over as a beta site. But it was not us.

So "Fast Start" & This is Scouting are no longer required.. Well "Fast Start" hasn't been being tracked for a while. At least their reports of "Trained" and "Untrained" did not track those to calculate who was trained. Before it was on-line training, units would just pass around a VCR or DVD of it, but no one contacted Council to have it marked they took it.

It will be several months before most of us would get to see it. Same happened with the new Guide to Advancement. A select group got to see it, but were not allow to show it to others before it was available on-line and then soon in print.

Our Assistant Council Commissioner for Venturing sent me a list of the new requirements from National to be considered "trained".

The only change I see is that Sea Scout Leaders no longer take Venturing Leader specific but take a new course - Sea Scout Adult Leader Basic Training (SSALBT) code P44

Having been a Skipper I was asked if I could teach this but haven't gotten a syllibus yet

CNYS,

If memory serves, you have to contact Keith Christopher's secretary at National to get a copy of the syllabus and PPT slides.

Unless they changed it since late 2010/early 2011, I have it at home digitally and can email it to ya. PM me if you want it.

E92

"The only change I see is that Sea Scout Leaders no longer take Venturing Leader specific but take a new course - Sea Scout Adult Leader Basic Training (SSALBT) code P44 "

Old news.

this was changed a couple of years ago. And SSALBT is not really a new course, it was around for years as an add-on to VLST. And frankly, they need to revamp and expand SSALBT, because a lot of stuff is missing that is in VLST. How can they expect a 3 hour course to replace a 5 hour course?

You can get a copy of the syllabus and PPT from the Sea Scout office. I contacted them a few months back to be sure I had the most recent version for use in my council.

So those of you with Sea Scouts in your district. How does that work? I can imagine it is fine for districts by the ocean, who have enough ships to find trainers to teach the Sea Scout course. But for those who might only have one or two ships in their district. Is that a course run at Council, or maybe even regional?? (I think we only have a handful of Ships in our whole Council..)

I mean to hold a good training you need trainers who know the program.. For may places I would think it would be hard to find enough trainers, out of your small pool of ships..

"So those of you with Sea Scouts in your district. How does that work? I can imagine it is fine for districts by the ocean, who have enough ships to find trainers to teach the Sea Scout course. But for those who might only have one or two ships in their district. Is that a course run at Council, or maybe even regional?? (I think we only have a handful of Ships in our whole Council..)"

Its a course run by the council, but the trainers could be experienced Sea Scout leaders from the Ships.

In my council, its basically been our council commodore, another sea scout leader and myself doing the training 2-3 times a year in different locations so that local Sea Scout leaders can get to it.

Are there experienced Sea Scout leaders from other Districts who can come teach it (and could then start a cycle of this course being taught by local people)? Or does the region need to help you with people from another council?