bigbovine

Wood Badge is open to any trained adult.

It is a very nice course, which I think does help leaders learn more about leadership.

It really isn't going to make a lot of difference what position you hold when you take the course, the information is the same for everyone that attends.

The big difference will be when you come to write and complete your ticket.

With this in mind, I would suggest that you wait a while and don't rush into attending the course.

From what you have posted it kinda looks like at some stage you will end up with a Boy Scout Troop.

Boy Scouting is a very different kettle of fish than Cub Scouting and great as some training's might be, it takes time to gain a true understanding of both the game and the purpose, while also learning the skills needed to do a good job.

Most Tickets are about seeing an area that is weak and doing something that will help improve that area.

A newbie might have a problem seeing what is weak and may not have the know how to go about doing what is needed to fix it.

You have a lot of time to attend the course, slow down enjoy the ride for a while, learn as much as you can about the program, find out what makes Scouts tick, attend a few summer camps and then think about attending.

Ea.

(If you find out what makes Scouts tick? Please share it with us. Many of us have spent a lifetime working on that one.)

Many different opinions here. I think it is best to take Wood Badge (two words) fairly quickly after you are trained for your position.

Also, you can put on your ticket many different things - but it has to be approved by your advisor. When I took Wood Badge, I was trained in two positions - Webelos Den Leader and Assistant Scoutmaster. My ticket contained items for both positions.

Keep in mind that you may be working your ticket for over a year so what Eamonn stated is worth considering.