BDPT00 writes:

Can you think of a better and simpler way to teach them how to teach? Please share.

I'll give it a shot!

If "Leadership" is the new goal of Scouting, then let us no longer waste Boy Scouts' time on other people's acronyms. Give our Scouts the "tool kit" they need to make up their own Leadership Formulas and earn millions of dollars in the promising field of Corporate Leadership.

This tool kit is called: OBGYN

Observe what works in Scouting

Break this process down into component parts.

Generate an annoying acronym and/or Fake Formula based on the artificial parts of the process.

Yank from Scouting the traditional outdoor process that works and replace it with your new Fake Formula.

Neuter (castrate, snip, or cut) the program so that your Fake Formula is universal enough to be used by Wolf Den Leaders to glue macaroni onto paper cups, become local District Training Chairs, and provide "Diversity" to key national training and "safety" committees.

So, How Does OBGYN Work in Real Life?

Leadership Development was formally introduced in 1972.

Bela Banathy Observed how "Real" Patrol Leaders physically lead their Patrols on Patrol Outings without adult supervision (What Hillcourt called "Patrol Leadership').

He Broke the Patrol Leaders' fluid outdoor leadership down into artificially separate component "Skills."

He Generated a Formula called "Eleven Skills of Leadership."

Banathy's partner Dr. John W. Larson then Yanked Scoutcraft (mandated by an Act of Congress) from Hillcourt's Wood Badge, Yanked The "Uniform Method" from Hillcourt's "Methods of Scouting," and Yanked Hillcourt's Patrol Leader Training (The applied outdoor skills course from which Brent is quoting) away from American Patrol Leaders.

(To compare the 1972 "Seven Methods of Scouting" to Hillcourt's Methods of Scouting, see):

http://inquiry.net/adult/methods/index.htm

Larson then Neutered BSA Scouting through 1) "Diversity"--allowing "Urban Youth" to earn Eagle Scout without ever going on a single Troop Campout 2) Replaced "Patrol Leader Training" with generic "Junior Leader Training;" which castrated Hillcourt's Scoutcraft (the Patrol Leader's ability to cook, follow a map, or do first aid) and replaced it with Fake Leadership Skills:

In general, Patrol Leader training should concentrate on leadership skills rather than on Scoutcraft Skills. The Patrol will not rise and fall on the Patrol Leader's ability to cook, follow a map, or do first aid, but it very definitely depends on his leadership skill.

http://inquiry.net/leadership/index.htm

The OBGYN Examination:

1) Describe how Leadership Development used OBGYN to produce Wood Badge for the 21st Century and the EDGE method.

2) Identify which "Purpose of Scouting" mandated by an Act of Congress got kicked out of Wood Badge again. Explain why ignoring the law is an important corporate Leadership Skill.

3) Name the two key components of the Patrol Method that were Yanked from Scoutmaster Specific Training and replaced with "EDGE."

4) Describe how "Diversity" mandates that we spend millions of dollars on translators to accommodate people who hate Scoutcraft.

5) Use OBGYN to create a formula by which Leadership experts on a national safety committee can achieve the Holy Grail of Leadership Development: To make THE goal of Hillcourt's Patrol Leader Training (Independent Patrol Adventure), against the rules.

6) Show how the OBGYN Method can be used to destroy a still-untouched popular aspect of Scouting such as the BSA Waterfront. Include the benefits of Diversity to non-swimmers who have been excluded from earning their POR as a BSA Lifeguard. Explain the benefits of "Controlled Failure" over "elitism" and competency when dumbing Boy Scout Adventure down to a Cub Scout level Leadership Formula.

7) Leadership Development's war on Scoutcraft caused two million Boy Scouts to leave (or by the BSA's estimate, 30% of membership). Use OBGYN to create a Leadership Formula to destroy something that other boys love. Consider sports such as Baseball, Foot Ball, or Soccer. Explain why a free market is your worst enemy.

8) Using the acronym "BAREFOOT," create your own Leadership Formula to guide other Scouts through POR requirements and regular Troop-wide elections. Using the acronym "PREGNANT," create your own Leadership Formula to guide other Scouts through the process of PLC Meetings, Duty Rosters, and cooking & cleaning for the Troop Method. Explain how Leadership Development keeps boys BAREFOOT and PREGNANT.

9) Conduct a school poll that asks boys to describe "modern" Boy Scouts in one word. The word was "Gay" wasn't it? Use OBGYN to create a Teaching Formula to inform your friends that Boy Scouting is not "Gay," it is Transgendered! :)

Yours at 300 Feet,

Kudu

http://kudu.net/

Aw, shucks, I sorta liked Show-Help-Inspire-Test, CRAPPPO, and LATRINE. :)

Speakin' of OB-GYN, though, how many folks teach that sort of stuff as part of their first aid training for youth?

IIRC, it's not part of the First Aid MB requirements, but it is standard fare for every Wilderness First Aid and other Wilderness responder courses.

Anybody have issues with parents if yeh included those topics? Issues keepin' the lads serious?

Beavah

Ok, it started out good, but then just turned into a rant that sort of stopped being funny. Let's go like this instead:

Observe what works in Scouting

Break this process down into component parts.

Go for it don't be a shrinking violet, just do it.

Your mileage may vary

Next time make notes of what worked and what didn't, so the next time you can do it better (hindsight is always the clearest way to view something)

This OBGYN procedure is often seen with a D&C (District & Council) management style, particularly with a Dr. of Med. or Drive of Mediocrity. ;)

Yeah, we sometimes have problems keeping the boys serious -- isn't that part of being a boy? ;) A carrot/stick approach sometimes works. Setting a good example, getting to enjoy the refreshments, being taught how to tie a hangman's noose afterward, not having their parents alerted, doing activities that they helped plan and are emotionally invested in, these things help with that, although even adults joke around sometimes when they get together.

SR540Beaver writes:

Wow! deja vu! I'd swear I've read this before.

A formula to make Leadership Formulas? I think not.

John-in-KC writes:

Thank you for your contribution to the body of sarcastic literature, Rick.

For those new to online discussion groups, John is perhaps the only Wood Badge Staffer in the history of the world with the courage to indicate in a public forum that there is anything wrong with Scoutmaster Training taking the Patrol and the Patrol Leader out of the Patrol Method.

So John-in-KC is the exception the proves the rule: Wood Badge is a Cult :)

Beavah writes:

Aw, shucks, I sorta liked Show-Help-Inspire-Test, CRAPPPO, and LATRINE.

The purpose of OBGYN is to teach the Scouts how to build their own LATRINEs! The field of flatulence is also wide open.

Beavah writes:

IIRC, it's not part of the First Aid MB requirements, but it is standard fare for every Wilderness First Aid and other Wilderness responder courses.

Was that a hijack? :)

Oak Tree writes:

it's always refreshing to see a topic that not only is spelled correctly but also uses a superscript font. Well done, Kudu.

Thanks! I cut and pasted the trademark superscript from the listing of "EDGE" in a BSA intellectual property rights publication. Ironic, huh?

Thomas54 writes:

I think the OBGYN has exposed festering sore that is both painful and embarrassing to those with intimate knowledge of the situation. Is there no treatment?

The problem is that the Congressional Charter only works in one direction. There is currently no controlling authority to force the BSA to live up to its side of the terms of its corporate monopoly on "Scouting." So we are free to ignore the Act of Congress designed to protect future generations of American children with the very specific definition of "Scouting" as "1916 Scoutcraft."

That is why Leadership Development always defines "Scouting" as "Ethical and Moral Choices" or "Leadership and Character."

Perhaps we should teach our Scouts how to bundle Toxic "Ethical and Moral Choices" over their lifetimes with a corporate Leadership acronym such as: SORE, ABSCESS, BLISTER, PIMPLE, PUSTULE, or TUMOR :)

BartHumphries writes:

Ok, it started out good, but then just turned into a rant that sort of stopped being funny.

"Rant" is Leadership Development jargon for "I can not refute your logic."

Every BSA Leadership Development Formula is bundled with an all-out attack on Scouting: From the 1972 replacement of Scoutcraft with "11 Leadership Skills," to the present day replacement of the Patrol and Patrol Leader with EDGE.

BartHumphries writes:

Let's go like this instead: Go for it...just do it...Your mileage may vary

You forgot "Have a Nice Day" and "I love kittens and puppies."

What part of "We are deadly serious. We are absolutely serious about this" don't you understand?

http://inquiry.net/leadership/sitting_side_by_side_with_adults.htm

Yours at 300 Feet,

Kudu

Rick,

I have never staffed WB. To cut to the chase, your facts are in error.

My simple assessment is, your rants and diatribes are off-putting in the extreme. You have so much angst and animus against what the current program does. You maliciously insult people who give their time and energy serving the youth, and you think nothing of it.

More than a few of your ideas are good, but when you have to parse them out from diatribes, the effort becomes more than the the added value.

I have better things to do with what time I have. Fare thee well.

I'm headed out the door to help my Troop set up the "Trail of Fear" for our District's Spook-O-Ree, so I can't give John-in-KC's post the attention it deserves.

I do apologize for stating that he is, or ever has been, a Wood Badge Staffer.

I should have known: Wood Badge Staffers do not usually speak out against kicking Scoutcraft out of Wood Badge, or kicking the Patrol Leader out of the Patrol Method.

I would point out that unlike you, John-in-KC, I never "maliciously insult" any individual volunteer.

The point of "OBGYN For Boys" is that every new Leadership Development theory is accompanied with an assault on the very essence of Scouting: Scoutcraft and the Patrol Method.

I am also working on an intervention rescue manual for Boy Scouts whose parents are caught up in the Cult of Wood Badge :)

Yours at 300 Feet,

Kudu

been gone on vacation for a week, actually left last Friday after work, drove from Bethlehem PA to Clarksville Arkansas, getting in about 2pm. Visited with Dad and then off to Chicago on Wednesday. Walked a bit through the Route 66 museum in Pontiac Il and on to Elburn, il.

Did a tour through the old neighborhood, went to the site of the Seminary I was in for awhile and saw Chicago Landmarks, SOldier Field, Field Museum, Wrigley Field, new Comiskey Park (Cellular Field)

and saw my brothers. Even did a tour through the Notre Dame Campus in SOuth Bend on the way home. At dusk entering Pennsylvania I hit the deer, smashed the trucks grill pretty good but no injuries, except for the deer of course. Truck still works though

And so back today to find out nothing much has changed. I dont find much wrong with teaching leadership, if the reason for teaching leadership is to get the boys out camping by patrols. But in honor of Aurora, Il nearby where my brother lives

Party On