Can Committee members get the Boy Scout Leaders Training Award?

BadenP, perhaps your problem with the award is that the award has two current names. A Scouter can not simply go to one meeting a month and earn this award. There are lots of folks that work behind the scenes and put in far more time, sweat, and tears than many ASM's and even many SM's that earn this award. The required work to earn the award is the same with the noted exception of IOLS being added to SM/ASM.

I doubt that most of the folks that earn this award in a position other than SM/ ASM skated to get it. It is my position that all those that have satisfied the requirements for this award have indeed earned it. The simple fact that some do more and some do less in Scouting is just a matter of life. Do you go camping with your committee folks? Do they interact with the Scouts in your unit. Is there something you can do to include them?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a committee member is only coming to one adult committee meeting a month, they're not going to meet the requirements for the award. Any committee member that is earning this award is probably at least serving on boards of review, helping drive scouts to and from events, and serving as an MBC.

Brotherhood

You will have a very difficult time proving that any committee members do more for the boys then their leaders. Yes, there are a few who go way beyond their duties as a committee member and help out in the unit, however they are few in number, and we are talking here about those who function only as committee members qualifying for a Scout Leaders Award. Bottom line they ARE NOT scout leaders and should not qualify for this award, your argument doesn't hold water, sorry. Committee members do serve a very important purpose but again they are not scout leaders and should have seperate recognition.

I know many committee members that have earned it. And I'm pretty sure that the District Training Chair (at least in our district), who reviews all the paperwork for the adult awards and square knots, would not be issuing the awards to those who had not completed IOLS if it was only intended for SMs and ASMs.

Frank

Yes it is my opinion but that same opinion says the award becomes less relevant when someone who does not work with the scouts can get an award called the SCOUT LEADER AWARD. You know what Frank maybe the BSA is wrong in this case as is your myopic viewpoint.

BadenP: "I think the real problem here is semantics, are committee members really considered to be "Scout Leaders"? Their job requires no direct contact with scouts, even though some do go on camping trips with the troop that is not part of their duties as a committee member. Their function is mainly an organizational and administrative behind the scenes position. For that reason I do not feel that a committee member should be eligible fot the Scout Leaders Award, however is would be nice for them to have an award for committee members recognizing their efforts."

Really? Who does the BOR's, advancement chair, fundraising chair, etc. in your neck of the woods?

BadenP,

I think you hit the nail on the head; the BSA did get it wrong when it renamed the award. It should have been renamed the Boy Scouter Award. That would make it much like the Cub Scouter Award which Pack Committee Members can pursue and earn. Then there would be no confusion about which volunteers could get it. I'll send off an email suggestion to National.

YiS,

Chazz Lees

"The Scouter's Training Award is actually for Roundtable Staff (http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34169-60.pdf).

The Boy Scout Leader's Training Award has been that way since 2006 at least (according to the publication date of http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34169-55.pdf).

Same medal and square knot for both, however."

Its the Scouter's Training Award, and can be earned by several groups of people:

* Boy Scout leaders (SM, ASM, MC, CC)

* Venturing leaders (Advisor, Associate Advisor, MC, CC)

* Sea Scout leaders (Skipper, Mate, MC, CC)

* Varsity Scout leaders (Coach, Assistant Coach, MC, CC)

* Roundtable Staff

and I think District Committee members

the same knot/medal, just with the different knot devices.

this has been the case for freaking decades, so why all the hubbub???

Actually District Committee earn the Scouter's Key. Don't ask me why though. i also never heard it cvalled Boy Scout Leader, always Scouter's training Award.

FYI National has reinstated the Skipper's Key, so Skippers can earn that one instead.

Troop committee members are considered trained when they have

completed "This is Scouting", Youth Protection Training (must be

renewed every two years) and the Troop Committee Challenge as their

Leader Specific training.