When the ticket is complete....

My ticket was completed Sept. 29 and I immediately informed my TC. He told me he needed a short review of my ticket items and what I did, and although he said he thought he had that info from me in a previous email, I went ahead and ran through everything in one concise email.

So what happens now?

My friend completed his ticket a few months ago and received his beads last month, and he said he was required by his TC to submit a 3-ring binder with each item individually written up with a review of his actions and steps he took to complete the item. My TC hasn't asked for this, or for anything else since I sent the last email.

Any former TC's/CD's familiar with the whole process mind giving a rundown of what happens between finishing the ticket and receiving the beads?

I would guess that there is a wide variety of how people manage ticket completions.

When I served as a coach counselor and then as a ticket counselor, I would either via phone or face-to-face, review everything with the person. It gives the person a chance to evaluate their performance.

After that and I agreed that they met their goals, I would notify the course director that they had completed their ticket. I would also forward a few dates that they supplied for when they would like their bead ceremony to take place. The course director then coordinated the date for the ceremony with the rest of the staff and the person.

Maybe you should contact your ticket counselor again or the course director and give them a couple of dates you'd like to receive your beads? They may be distracted or have forgotten.

As I recalled, determining that you completed your ticket was between you and your TC.

I know with the course I was at, I just had to tell the CD et al that the person had completed their ticket.

I didn't require any heavy duty stuff.

And AIR from my time as a participant, it wasn't that much different.

I would say the process seems to be:

* work your ticket (good idea to keep your TC in the loop)

* once finished your ticket items, inform your TC (if you did the first step, they shouldn't be surprised)

* the TC informs the CD that you've finished

* work with your TC to arrange your beading

Tokala, emb021; thanks for the replies.

What you two have described is how I imagined it went, but my friend said something about the whole package having to be reviewed at the main office in Texas (?) and the whole process taking up to 3 months. Was his TC pulling his leg, or is there a lot more going on behind the scenes?

I've never heard of that "texas has to approve it" thing before, so either someone was joking, or someone was seriously misinformed.

Heck, I could hardly get my ticket counselor to even LOOK at my stuff - he said my word was really all he needed. Why don't you contact your counselor and ask him what happens next?

And, congratulations!

(now you can just create your own tickets for your continued involvement in scouting)

Really depends on your friend I suppose. I have seen some Scouting Professional tickets that were on a bigger scale than my own.

Tickets are personal, and reflect that person in Scouting.

As a Ticket councilor, I was periodically updated, then had a final face-to-face lunch/meeting, then worked with the Course Director and the Scouter to setup his bead ceremony time/location.

As for verification that a person completed their ticket, I didn't do it because I didn't trust them. I did it because it offered a chance to sit one-on-one with a SCouter you've worked with for possibly 18 months and evaluate the experience. I usually do more of a start,stop,continue evaluation with them. I ask questions like

"What went well that you would do again?"

"If you did the same thing again, what would you do differently?"

"What materials from Wood Badge helped you with your ticket?"

My experience both as a TG and participant was similar to emb and Tokala. I'd simply add that when I worked with my participants, I took their review in whatever format they were comfortable with. I had one that wrote a book (well, OK, almost!) and another that I did mostly verbally. The rest were somewhere in between.

I think someone was blowing smoke with the Texas comment - I notified the CD and the advancement/training professional for our council, the professional had his secretary put the regalia/certificate packet together and I picked it up. In one case the process took 24 hours.

Date and event were scheduled between the participant, CD, and myself. Most were troop meetings/COHs.

Vicki (edited for clarification)

A bear in a bobwhite suit(This message has been edited by Vicki)

I didn't say that this wasn't happening. What I was refering to was that my TG understands, and is in contact contact with me. We talk on FB almost everyday in fact. She knows my progress. But when I tell her I've finished something she's not asking me for a book on what I did. She asks me, but she also trusts me.

I'll be aTG next year. So this information you guys are giving me will come in handy. Thanks.