Good day scouters!

I spent several years on our district's training committee and coordinated Leader Specific training for Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Venturing, and Sea Scout Leaders, and I have over the past several years taught every one of these programs.

A year ago or so (just after I became inactive on the DC), the name of the Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster Leader Specific Training

(formerly "Scoutmaster Essentials") appears to have been changed to "Boy Scout Leader Specific Training." Is this true, or is it just a matter of the headings and how the information is categorized? And lastly, has this material been updated in the recent past, and if so when?

Along with several other district trainers, I will be heading up a session for our new troop leaders (including committee members) in 3 weeks; we will be doing only the classroom portion. I have the district training chair getting me a copy of the latest syllabus, but I will not get it until after the weekend, and wanted to know what I might expect as compared to the old syllabus, of which I have several copies.

Here is what scouting.org says about this curriculum:

"For Scoutmasters and assistant Scoutmasters, this training is divided into four parts. The first three parts concentrate on troop operation and can be completed in one full day or three evenings. The fourth part, which focuses on outdoor skills, lasts approximately a day and a half, depending on the skill level of the new leader. The leader is considered trained upon completion of This Is Scouting, Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster Leader Specific Training, and Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills."

That's the copy I have right here (running this in June). I don't have an old syllabus, but here's what I know on this version.

The title is "Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster Leader Specific Training" on the cover.

There are 3 sessions--

1-- Getting Started, the role of SM in a boy-led troop

2-- Lighting the Fire: The Outdoor Program and Advancement

3-- Keeping it Going: Program Planning and Troop Administration

Check out http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/BoyScouts/NewLeaderTraining/specific.aspx

There, the term "Boy Scout Leader Specific Training" refers to the different classes needed by SMs/ASMs/CommitteeMembers to be considered "Trained".

The classes for SM/ASM are still the same: This Is Scouting, Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster Leader Specific Training, and Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills, along with Youth Protection, of course.

Edited to add: Looks like I was looking at the same page as you were! To answer your question...yes, it's just a heading thing. The individual class names haven't changed.(This message has been edited by AlFansome)