Mom2Scouts06,

Greetings!

As I read this threat, I caught on to the "Program" beads. It had briefly confused me (and I don't need any more confusion, haha).

I believe per the curriculum they call upon two items to represent service and program. The spade and the kudu horn.

When you referred to Program Beads, I was understanding the giant beads.

Some course carry a large set of beads for fun. It is similar to a Roundtuit. For minor infractions of tardiness, talking during a presentation or lack of Scoutiquette (unScout-like behavior/grey area wisecracks). If a patrol is late, they receive a large set of beads or a roundtuit.

I've staffed a few courses, once where the Scoutmaster stated he would never use giant WB beads to negatively discipline a staffer, learner or patrol!! Never, it was not going to happen! Then on day-one the "roundtuit" came out, it was about the size of a steering wheel.

Other courses do not like the visual reminder of not to be late; and think that a negative recognition, will encourage more tardiness, or more unScout-like/grey area comments.

Some learners and staffers get a kick out of how many times they can be disciplined and received the beads. I too think it is funny, and can bring laughter into the middle of a program. But it can easily become distracting and take away from the ceremony, assembly, or lesson. So a Course Director if they use giant beads, needs to regulate their use, and stick the giant beads on their walking stick after a while.

I guess the giant beads will flow along with the temperament and general attitude of the Scouters in your community. Sometimes you will see them every course and moving every few minutes, some councils will never use them.

Now regarding program patrol beads, the program patrol will wear them for 24 hours, singing Scout songs while learners gather for the next program/lesson, and etc. While the service patrol is carrying water, coffee, trashbags, brooms and etc. Until the next morning assembly. The WB Critters sometime adorn or decorate the program/service items as a critter would. Bobwhites have created a nest for the token, Eagles have painted items red, white and blue, Bears have attached a lunch box, Beavers have gnawed thru the wood. Antelopes have hot glue gunned antlers (twigs and sticks) onto the service and program tokens. Sometimes permanent, sometimes temporary.

If you shared what WB Patrol Critter you are, maybe the forum can add to those ideas as well.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

(This message has been edited by Crew21_Adv)(This message has been edited by Crew21_Adv)(This message has been edited by Crew21_Adv)

Mom2Scouts06,

hmmm.. You can only add to it, but no permanently.

My wife is a Fox. (I'm an Owl and my oldest is a Beaver). It makes for some interesting nicknames when the whole family goes Bowling (haha). So I'll ask them what they've seen Foxes do to the program patrol token.

I've seen a few courses, where they've added a faux Fox tail to the service and program token. Looking on Amazon website, it appears that you can pick up fake fox tail toys in some local pet stores.

A set of beads, hung from two fox tails (or a rope with two fox tails instead of the wooden beads) would probably get a rise out of the SPL, ASM Program and Scoutmaster.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv