I stepped up and became an ADL this year.

Due to unplanned surgery for cancer ( it's all gone now), I pretty much missed out on all the fall leader training offered by our council. So that means I only have internet training so far.

Well, just around the corner, I will be taking BALOO, Leader specific and, New Leader Essentials very soon.

So here is my question concerning Leader Specific Training:

1) Since I plan on being a leader next year instead of an ADL, should I take a leader instead of Asst leader? Is there even a difference or is it just "Leaders" in general for Cub Scouts?

2)If there is a difference between leader and Asst leader, would it be wiser to take leader - as to be sure If I was leader trained, I should easily handle being an ADL this year and also save time taking a class again next year? Or do I stick to my current position? I only ask since training starts after the "new" scouting year does. I'd be a leader before the training took place. Again, that's assuming there's different training.

3) Am I over complicating and over thinking the whole situation?(This message has been edited by scoutfish)

3) Yes. :)

2) and 1) I know that some cub trainings have been updated recently, but I am pretty sure that there are no separate trainings for ADL vs. DL.

My advice is, go to the training for the position you plan to hold next year. That allows you to spend some time this summer prepping for it (with good resources from training), and hit the ground running. If it won't be offered in your district or council before next fall, see whether there are any other districts or councils nearby that offer it sooner. Depending on where you live, this might even be easier for you. I know where I am, for years we were closer to the neighboring district's training sites than to our own (til we underwent redistricting!). THere is no rule saying you can only attend your own district or council training.

Most of all, don't expect it to be, or make it into, something complicated. Keep it simple, make it fun (KISMIF).

(This message has been edited by lisabob)

Yeah, I started to look into other council dates, but seemed like most all of them were scheduled every time I had a Dr appointment. Figures , right? LOL!

My council even had a "back up" date, but had to miss that one too.

But I'm in the clear now, so it won't/ shouldn't be an issue again.

Just relax and take it easy.

I've been told that sometime in May ALL the specific training will be available online. We'll see what happens as it may come out a little later, but you should be good to go.

In reference to BALOO, that is extra training that at least 1 person in the pack needs to take in order to go pack camping. The outdoor training you would want to take since you will be moving to Webelos next year is Outdoor Webelos Leader training. HOWEVER it has been announced that a new outdoor training covering Webelos leaders, Scout leaders and venturing leaders with an outdoor program. One stop shopping basically. This new training is coming out in the very near future. Sorry don't know much more about it.

Now if you are gung ho, I'd go on ebay and used book stores for USED copies of the HOT TO BOOK, LEADER'S HANDBOOK, and other CS leader books. I say buy used as i've been told with the CS 2010 new program, all literature will be rewritten to incorporate the new stuff and available in May. HOWEVER they old materials will still give you a good foundation. Heck soemtimes the old stuff has alotmore info, i.e. 3rd ed. Sm Handbook.

There is only one training for both den leaders and assistant den leaders. You should take the training for Webelos Cub Scout Leaders.

While BSA is going to be moving toward a combined outdoor training for Webelos/Boy Scouts/Venturers, there has been no mention of when, exactly, it will become available. I certainly would not wait on the new training. If your council offers Webelos Outdoor Leaders Training, I would recommend taking it.

Looking at your council's web site, it seems that you are in one of the council's that is doing the mandatory training pilot. That means that, hopefully, they should be offering more training to accomodate the needs of their leaders. You might consider attending your District's Roundtable and talking to the District Training Chair.

From the website, it looks like the Central District is holding a Cub Scout Leader Training this Saturday. The Northeast is holding New Leader Essentials on April 27, and Cub Scout Leader Specific (you would need the Webelos portion) on April 29.

While the Cub Scout program is changing, and online Leader Specific is supposed to be up and running by late Spring, early Summer, the Webelos program should not be changing much (if at all) because it already is den based. I think that because of the nature of the Webelos program, you might benefit more from a face to face training where you can ask the trainer questions.

Yeah,I prefer face to face training when I can get it. I learned long ago:

What somebody is thinking, what they say/write, what I take in, and what I understand are 4 different things!

I know I could easily read something and take the meaning the wrong way. I'd rather actually be able to hear that person and be able to ask them questions too.

I bet everybody here understands completely, when I say you cannot hear the tone of a person's voice in these forums. Sometimes you can't distinguish between sarcastic joking , sacasm, and outright spite!

Scout fish your gonna find the training pretty worthless. Your gonna need Youth protection and this is scouting. which can both be accomplished on line.

Go to

https://myscouting.org/

This has most of the training on line severe weather and position specific stuff.

If your that worried about getting trained, I would find a mentor, someone who you like the way the den operates and ask to attend meeting or ask for a schedule.

Yep the slides are repetitive for the various CS specific slides. BUT the mentor is one approach. another is the Self study. back in the day I know Exploring had a self study book. I got it, read it, and had a conference with the Exploring exec, who also gave me the book, and we had a discussion over coffee on Exploring and the differences with Scouting.

• 2 weeks later...

First, congrats on a successful surgery! I've been through the ringer myself with medical issues and have found Scouting keeps me motivated and young through it all.

Keep It Simple, Make It Fun -- one of the best parts of training and working with the boys. If you're having fun, so are they. Being a den leader is a great excuse to act like a nine year old and have fun with it.

New Leader Essentials has been replaced by "This is Scouting" online, so be sure to take the appropriate course. As a Webelos Den Leader, it's a breakout within Cub Scout Specific, and you'll learn everything your den leader will learn.

If you can, I suggest also taking Outdoor Leader Essentials instead of BALOO, as it'll give you a better basis on what to teach your boys to get them ready for Boy Scouts. You'll start to see how the puzzle fits together and how the continuum of scouting works for the boys.