January Training Update and Questions.

Well I can't seem to get onto MYSCOUTING.ORG at the moment, but do know some of the same folks who post there post here as well.

According to the January 2010 Training Update found here:

http://scouting.org/Training/TrainingUpdates.aspx

Introduction to Outdoor Skills for Boy Scout leaders is being revised. The new outdoor course will be a one-size-fits-all for Webelos leaders, Boy Scout leaders, and Venturing leaders. Once a person completes the training, it is not necessary to repeat it when they move to another program. BALOO will remain as a training aid as it focuses more on safety than on outdoor skills.

Now my question is this: since I do not have Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders training, but have BALOO and IOLS (OK it was really the old SM Fundamentals, I am an old fogey you know ;) ) #1 do I still need to take the Webelos course, or will the IOLS cover that? I ask b/c no one currently in my pack has taken the Webelos training, the one who did crossed over, and the Webelos are jumping at the bit to do some camping. I was told last nite that the pack needs me registered as an AWDL so I can go camping with them, until we get the WDLs that training. Still working with the TCs, but I will be needed to go camping. I told them A) I don't have the OWL training so the Webelos still may not be able to go camping and B) If IOLS is valid for webelos as well, as long as I am on the TP, I am good to go irregardless of my position.

Second question: Can I serve on staff for the new training without the OWL training. I ask that one b/c we are a small district AND have a small training cadre. I am lined up to teach BALOO training, and have taught IOLS, but no one in the district teaches OWL.

You don't have to be registered as a WDL, or AWDL, to go camping with a Webelos den.

Neither Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders, or BALOO, is required by BSA to be able to take a Webelos den camping (although one or both might be required by your council).

Since BSA is talking about an entirely new training to cover both Webelos and Boy Scouts, I doubt that they will be grandfathering old IOLS training into Webelos. However, you never know. Until the new training sylabus is done, and we hear something concrete from National, none of us can know for certain.

Your question on staffing the new training should be directed to your District/Council Training Chair. While generally, it is preferred that a trainer have gone thru the course they are to teach, some councils are more strict about this than others.

Scout,

let me rephrase questions to clarify as I may have been to wordy.

1)Since the new outdoor training course combines OWL and IOLS, how will they handle those of us who have taken one course and not the other?

2) How will training staff for the new course be developed since you do have trainers who may have taken one course, say IOLS, without taking the other course, say OWL.

And a third question

3) how are you going to get trainers to deal with the Venturing portions, without ever having a required course before?

Lots of new things headed our way,and with the addition of MANDATORY TRAINING I beleive alot of headaches too.

• 4 weeks later...

That answer really lies with your council training committee, at least for now. In my council we are looking at a short refresher (1 hour) with a "quiz" at the end to see if the meat and potatoes of the course is remembered, and we'll sign off the training card. This falls under the self-study aspect of district training, and we use it just for these types of scenarios. We're not going to make a Scoutmaster of 20 years retake a course unless he wants to, yet can still show competency on what needs training.