Technically, they don't. But to borrow a phrase from Beavah (and I'm sure I've heard this somewhere before), it sounds like an argument about angels and pinheads. Could be I'm the pinhead, not so sure about that.

In practice, the troop can decide to give out the award. They can also hand out 50-miler awards without using the official application form, or historic trail awards, or lots of other things, I'm sure. It turns out troops can even award merit badges when the counselors are not actually registered with the council.

We try to do the paperwork - but at some point you just decide that there are other more important things in life, and there's only so many things to fix. It's just a piece of cloth on a uniform...if you've done the requirements, you can wear the award in good conscience as far as I'm concerned.

Oak,

One challenge that I see that may come up is when mandatory training comes about in the next year or two and SCOUTNET doesn't have the records in them.

I'll give you an example. I was not considered trained according to SCOUTNET records 3 years ago, but i've been through all the basic leader training, save Venturing as grandfather clasue is gone I'm told and Sea Scout. I did Explorer Basic Leader training, CS basic Leader training, and SMF, among a bunch of others. I got my Scouter's Training Award way back when, which also means I am a trained ASM. BUT scoutnet had no records of me completing trainging or earning any awards. So in two years when mandatotry training comes about, If my records are not staight, I may be listed as untrained and dropped from the charter.

As for the question I posted, it reminded me that I need to follow up on my records as even after I submitted my records, they were still missing that award, and had me doign a trainging I did not do.

• 4 weeks later...

Eagle92

I agree with you and think that majority of the BSA units out there are going to have some huge problems about training if BSA does not do something about the training records. When I looked at my unit Roster provided by council it had down that no adults were trained and I was fully trained before the my troop was even formed. I was a Cub Leader when I got all My SM training so I was a registered Scouter. I guess the Transfer part of the Adult application is just a waste of time to fill out.

Mark M.

Hendricks,

Not only units but entire districts and councils. One thing that I did was conduct a training survey of all troop leaders in the district, as that was my area of responsibility at the time. I created a form using all of the available codes at the time and distributed to all the troops. those that were returned, I copied, transcribed to make it easier for the registrar to input into the system, and gave it tot he council to input.

Alot of councils are going that route, especially with 2011 coming about ( or 2010 for thsoe BETA councils)