Can anyone tell me what the requirements are for the Scoutmaster key according to the 2007 printing of the Leadership training committee guide. There seems to be some confusion with a lot of people about this. I went to the shop on Wednesday but they were out of the pamphlet. I have a SM who would has earned it unless the NYLT requirement is included.

Thanks,

ASMT530

The requirements for the Scoutmaster's Key, from the 2008 printing of the Leadership Committee Training Guide:

Complete Boy Scout Leader Fast Start Training.

Complete New Leader Essentials.

Complete Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster Leader Specific Training.

Complete Youth Protection Training.

Complete Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills.

Participate in one supplemental training course either at a local council or national level.

Participate in at least six Boy Scout leader roundtables per year.

Conduct troop youth leader training at least three times.

Participate as an adult in youth leader training by either serving on the staff or attending the Scoutmaster orientation session of the national youth leader training.

Earn the Boy Scout Leaders Training Award.

Tenure: Complete three years of registered tenure as a Scoutmaster within a five year period (can include the tenure used to earn the Scouters Award).

Performance: At least twice during the three-year period serve as a Scoutmaster of a troop that earns the national Centennial Quality Unit Award.

One can earn this award as a CA as well. Just put the right device on it. I've earned the Training Award in both Scouts and Venturing, and when I get my tenure in, I'll have the Key in both areas as well.

Stosh

Our council's NYLT does not offer a "Scoutmaster orientation session", nor did they even have any idea what it was. In such a situation, I'd try to figure out how to do the equivalent of the requirement...attend the course at University of Scouting on youth training, or talk to the council about how to promote NYLT in my troop, or something. Talk to your unit commissioner (or someone along those lines) about what it would take for the district to approve the award.

Or, in what may be more of a council-by-council variation, you can just decide at the troop level that the adult has completed the award and buy it for him at the council store. It's a lot simpler that trying to track down all the right people, and it seems to end up with the same result.

Oak,

problem with that is that the awards now need to be entered into SCOUTNET. yep all the awards have codes for them now.

Hmm, i wonder if my council finally added that I got the Scouter's Trainign Award fro way back when?

No, the Scouter's Key is earned only by the unit leader of Troops (Scoutmaster), Teams (Coach), Crews (Adviser), Ships (Skipper) as well as all Commissioners and District Committee Members.

There is a separate training award for all unit-level Scouters (except Cub leaders) and Roundtable/Huddle staff. Unit leaders can earn that one as well.

The Cub Scout program has its own set of position-specific leaders awards.

Adding to what nolesrule said, Scoutmasters, Coaches, Advisors, Skippers, etc each have separate requirements to earn the Scouter's Key. If you take these positions, you can re-earn the Key, and this is indicated by the addition of miniture pins.

Same is true for the Scouter's Training Awards.

And to add even further to emb021, each award can only be earned once per program type, meaning the Training Award can't be earned every time you change positions within a unit (or multiple units of the same type).(This message has been edited by nolesrule)

If your Council NYLT course does not offer a "Scoutmaster orientation session" maybe they should. Contact the NYLT Course Director and see what he/she has in mind to meet the Scoutmaster Key requirement. Maybe you could attend an NYLT Staff development meeting, or sit in on some of the sesions of the next course.

If the Course Director doesn't have a solution, next contact the Council Training Chair. Don't give up until the Training Chair solves your problem. That's why Council Training Chairs get paid the "big bucks" - to handle these issues.

The first point in the Scout Law would seem to preclude the option of just buying the knot and sewing it on your shirt.

Contact the NYLT Course Director and see what he/she has in mind to meet the Scoutmaster Key requirement.

I did. She had no idea and thought it was probably a typo in either the award requirements or the NYLT syllabus.

The first point in the Scout Law would seem to preclude the option of just buying the knot and sewing it on your shirt.

I didn't quite say "just buy the knot". I said that you could evaluate the requirements and decide whether the adult has completed them satisfactorilly, and if so, *then* buy the knot. That's what we do for most all awards...could do it for this too.

problem with that is that the awards now need to be entered into SCOUTNET.

Well, they don't really need to be entered into SCOUTNET. Might be handy for some things, although I'm not sure what. But yes, it would be cleaner to get the district to handle it.

In practice, I gave the assignment to my committee chair and asked him to deal with the district. I expect that they will approve it as completed with a variation on that particular requirement, but we'll see.