Timing of Boy Scout Leader Training

I don't know how it's done in other Councils, but in ours SM/ASM trainings are all done by the Council. District offers New Leader Essentials to both Cub and Boy Leaders, but that doesn't really offer insight into either of the programs. Council does the Troop Leader basic and outdoor fundamentals trainings once each in the late fall (usually November) and late winter (February or March).

I was wondering if it wouldn't be helpful to have these trainings in late Spring or late summer? The reason is mostly because of things I've seen when Webelos Den Leaders cross over to a Troop and become Boy Scout Leaders. Most times, they have no idea how a Troop functions (or is supposed to anyway) and it could be six months or more before they can go to training. This leaves many months for them to either fall in with the current adult leadership and accept how things are done, or, as I unfortunately see and hear, feel that the Troop is out of control, doing things wrong, and move to another or start one of their own.

It's been a long time since I was a Cub Leader and even longer since I took Cub Leader training, so perhaps things have changed since then. But I wonder: maybe Webelos Den Leader training could incorporate some information or components of the Boy Scout Leader Training. Maybe a one-day extra training for 2nd Year Webelos Leaders that would help them in the transition to Boy Scouts before they join a Troop? Certainly would help them to understand what to look for when they start shopping for a Troop.

I know it's our job as Boy Scout Leaders to help new Scouts and Leaders to understand the program and how it is different from Cub Scouting. I think we all know that we lose so many Scouts in the Webelos-Scouts transition, and I was thinking that maybe offering the Webelos Den Leaders a chance to gain some insight into Boy Scouting before they join could help in retention.

Usually by the time all cross overs are done the push is on for day camp and summer camp. Most ASM are not trained it takes them a while with the troop to realize they need training. We had SM specifics in October and will be doing IOLS the last weekend of this month. The most tactful way I have heard is to have new parents not camp for the first several outings except for specific family events. The boys first summer camp is useful in getting them over the homesickness hump providing that mom & dad doesn't cave to the come get me phone call. When parents are along have a little meeting and explain to them that the dad/mom hat needs to be at home that little Johnny should be referred to his patrol leader for his every need.

One reason for the seasonality of training courses may be the availability of training staff more than anything else. Those of us who do training also usually have ASM or SM positions, and serving the boys in my unit is more important than what I do at the district level. Plus, if you only have a few trainers, they wind up with fatigue and an unhappy home life if they're spending one weekend a month doing classes in addition to whatever they do with their units.

There's no reason that you can't be conducting SM training at the district level. Heck, we're looking at setting up a IOLS course for our unit, and opening up enrollment to anyone in the area...

The training committee guide suggests that districts stagger their training courses, so that all the basic trainings occur as often as possible throughout the year.

Our council is fortunate that we are able to do this - of course we have 23 districts. Smaller councils may have difficulty fielding a training team, and so fall into a rhythm (which sometimes becomes rut) of holding a course, the same month every year. Year after year.

If that meets the needs of the leaders, that's great. But if it doesn't, it may be because needs have changed, and the training committee's radar hasn't picked up that change.

I, as our district Cub Training Coordinator, regularly get calls and e-mails asking about training availability. If our district doesn't have something scheduled, I try to find a course for a leader in another district. If I get enough "squeak" then I figure there's a need for oil, and schedule a course, or offer personal coaching.

IOLS is hard to do with the personal coaching method, so I'd suggest 1) bugging your council training committee to re-evaluate whether their schedule is meeting the leaders needs and 2) investigating out of council opportunities.