dead man poem - ?? halloween story, anybody know where to find it?

I don't know what to call it .....

I remember a halloween story/poem about a dead man, you put the kids in a circle and pass around peeled grapes for his eyes and spaghetti for brains, a rubber glove full of jello for his hand, etc.

We're looking for it for one of our Denners - the cub pack he works with is having a lock-in and thought it would be fun for the boys. I know it's past halloween, but he still thought it would be fun to do

Anybody know what I'm talking about? or know where I can find it?

Hi LauraT7,

I searched using Google and came up with two different versions of the game. The second one looks like what you were looking for but the first one has some cool ideas that can be added into the second one for an even better experience for the boys.

I predict no sleeping on this night!

Guess the Body Part

One game we played was called "Guess the Body Part." She started off by telling us a spooky tale about digging in the basement a week or two earlier. She said that as she was exploring beneath our house, she had come upon a buried coffin. The coffin, she explained, contained the remains of the former master of the house who had died fifty years back. She then told us that she decided to put different body parts into paper bags and let us guess what they were many years ago. We all closed our eyes, and she began to pass around the bags. We found out later that she used food prepared different ways to trick us. She used two grapes for eyeballs, wet spaghetti for brains, dried cornsilk from a nearby field for hair, hard kernels of corn for teeth, baby carrots for fingers, and a piece of uncooked liver for a tongue. It was actually pretty gross, but I remember having a lot of fun.

THE DEAD MANS BRAINS

This scary story is a scary game that people play at Halloween. But it can be played whenever the spirit moves you.

The players sit in a circle in a darkened room and listen to a storyteller describe the rotting remains of a corpse. Each part is passed around for them to feel.

In one version, a player is out if he or she screams or gasps with fright. In another version, everybody stays to the end, no matter how scared they get.

Here is the story:

Once in this town there lived a man named Brown. It was years ago, on this night, that he was murdered out of spite.

We have here his remains.

First, lets feel his brains. (A wet, squishy tomato)

Now here are his eyes, still frozen with surprise. (Two peeled grapes)

This is his nose. (A chicken bone)

Here is his ear. (A dried apricot)

And here is his hand, rotting flesh and bone. (A cloth or rubber glove filled with mud or ice)

But his hair still grows. (A handful of corn silk or wet fur or yarn)

And his heart still beats, now and then. (A piece of raw liver)

And his blood still flows. Dip your fingers in it. Its nice and warm. (A bowl of catsup thinned with warm water)

Thats all there is, except for these worms. They are the ones that ate the rest of him. (A handful of wet, cooked spaghetti noodles)

Our Wolf Den put together a small Halloween Party (& earned a nifty Arrow Point in the process). The party was a blast! The boys did the mummy wrap relay where a couple of boys get wrapped in TP; then the goblin relay (hold an orange between chin & chest & pass it along). We then had the boys blindfolded & took them in small groups to my garage for our version of Frankenstein's Laboratory. These were our ingredients:

Children's teeth (dried corn)

Ears (dried apples)

Eyeballs (peeled grapes)

Frog Eggs (cooked tapioca)

Eels (Old El Paso whole chili peppers)

Brains (cooked oatmeal)

Bones (chicken bones)

Intestines (ramen noodles)

Puss (warm Cool Whip)

While they were still blind folded, we had them put their dirty hands into buckets of warm blood (water).

For background noise, we played a cassette tape of spooky haunted house sounds.

We relied on www.familyfun.com for treats ideas. We had Finger Food (trimmed carrots w/almond slice nails sitting in a bowl of ranch dip), Monster Toes (tortilla wrapped smokies), Monster Cupcakes (coated marshmallows decorated as Frankenstein sitting atop cupcakes filled with pudding); putrid punch with wormy ice cubes.

And the best part of all, they had to clean up to finish earning the Arrow Point!