I am teaching a class at our upcoming CS Pow Wow entitled "Where to go with Cub Scouts." The idea is to collect information on places to take the boys that relate to the Theme of the month. Being in a small rural council, many of these are easy for me to come up with plenty of ideas; however one theme has me completely baffled. April''''s theme is "ABRACADABRA" . Please if anybody has any ideas of places that might relate to magic let me know. We are a long distance (way out of council) from a city that is large enough to have magic shops, we have no big auditoriums that might have a show. The only thing I can think of is there are a few clowns that do parties and do some elementary sleight of hand. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

posted this already in CS forum, then realized it probably belonged here. sorry if you see it twice, but this theme really has me stumped

I like ScoutingMom's take on this - I love to do super-cool science experiments with my students in class. When the big surprise comes at the end (heavy weight lifted, smoke, color change, etc.), we ooooh and aaaaah, then we like to say, "It's not magic, it's SCIENCE!"

A more straightforward choice in our community: a local magician tapes a magic show on Saturday mornings at the TV station. Several times, we have had Scouts sitting in the audience during the taping, then they get to see themselves next week on local-access TV - that's cool enough, plus the magic tricks! Is there perhaps anything similar in your area?

clyde

Why not "make" your own field trip ... for example let the cubs create their own magic show and then take them to a retirement home to put on a show for the elders

This idea is even weirder ... contact a few famous people in the magic world and see if they will do a virtual field trip with the scouts ... such as behind the scenes of their show or maybe giving away one of their "secret" tricks, etc ... or more realistic see what there is on sites such as youtube

Some more normal ideas may include:

circus

science museum (really good idea)

Ok your right this has me stumped too ... here in las vegas it would be much easier but the small farming town in middle of no where I have pictured in my head - well I am at lost besides taking it virtual ...

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

Helping leaders one resource at a time...

Thanks for the suggestions... The idea of doing science "tricks" was good, especially since we also had a class on Cub Scout Science and they did some things that would work well.

the idea of the boys learning tricks and taking them to nursing homes was also really well received. All the communities in our council have nursing homes that the boys could visit.