youth protection training question

I picked up some of the TRAX spreadsheets and decided to also get the leader training one. in there, it says that the youth protection training is only good for a period of 2 years.

i know a spreadsheet shouldnt be relied upon - but i cannot find anything about this in other training materials.

though its good to get a refresher on some of these courses once taken - which ones expire and which are good for scouting life??

Youth protection every two years no big deal you can do it online in about 20 minutes or the DVD discuss with the whole troop in an hour. We make parents watch the DVD youth protection on the theory that one does not know if a rule is violated if one does not know the rules. If you are working in a particularly visible position such as Day camp you will be asked for a new Youth Protection card every year. The idea is to turn all of this into a positive for the parents look how careful we are being but the leaders need to protect themselves too. Do not let yourself be put in a position where something could be said.

thanks for the reply - i am an even bigger advocate for training as i have seen what a lack of training can cause.

i agree it is an easy course to do - i just wanted to pass along the CORRECT information to our other leaders and make sure we are trained.

The BSA *suggests* you have YP every two years. It is not currently a requirement. However, if your council''s camps require a current YP card, OR your council has insistituted an every two years rule, then it''s required.

This is an ask your council question. Check with your district training chair.

Last I heard hear is that if you took in class it was good for 3 years and online it was good forever ... will I never really bought into that and retake now then on my own anyway... besides I am one of those over-trained young leaders that does (will did) serve on the district training team...

What the real times of youth protection I do not know... but I just wanted to add in my wacky 2 cents ...

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

Helping leaders one resource at a time

In my old council (Longhorn),

2.) YPT "Trained" adults are only "certified" in the Longhorn Council, for a period of three years, after taking Youth Protection Training and will receive a "Trained" card after attending the training. Units participating in activities outside the Longhorn Council must comply with the Youth Protection requirements of BSA National or the Council where the activity takes place.

There''s no mention of a timeframe on my current council''s website (Catalina), but our neighboring council (Grand Canyon) has the same three year policy. So... check with your council. It''s possible your state or council has guidelines which require it more often than someone else''s.

Personally, I have just done it every time I turned in a new medical form. Now that I''m "over the hill", I''ll probably just scale back to every two years...