Venturing shirt for troop guides at WB

Troop guides start out wearing red shoulder loops while they are part of the troop. For a troop guide that is a venturing leader in real life and has only the green venturing uniform shirt, do they wear the red loops during the first half of the course, even though you're not supposed to wear red loops with the green shirt? This is on course only. I believe the loops are the only things that they make you change about your uniform now on the new Woodbadge, instead of having to strip off all the patches.

On our course last year, I instructed the staff to wear the uniform of their position. This is what the syllbus calls for. Even if they were a troop guide, a female could wear the blue and gold uniform with blue tabs. Same with venturing. They did change to green tabs when they crossed over to venturing.

David Harrison

I should remember this more clearly since I was on course last fall, but I don't. We did have three Venturing leaders on staff who wore their green shirts. All staff wore blue tabs until crossover time and then we changed to red. We all changed to green when we became Venturers. At least that is what I remember. The tabs had nothing to do with the program you were currently registered in. They instead had to do with what program the staff was modeling during the course.

Interesting, On our course , We are told to wear the uniform that shows what program we are primarily registered in. The insignia and loops are approriate to the program we are registrered as. The Cub Leaders wear blue loops, Boy scout leaders wear red loops, etc.

We do wear den chief cords the first morning and We have name tags with the patch of the position we are modeling that is updated during the course

Wearing green loops on a khaki or yellow shirt? That would be against uniforming guidelines and we would not be allowed to do that

That's what I'm trying to figure out. We've been talking at staff development about having TGs change their loops from blue to red to green during the course. (Of course, I'll be wearing my Varsity orange loops the whole time.)

The WB Administrative guide just says both staff and participants will wear the appropriate uniform and loops from the position they are registered in, which matches what Randy said. I don't imagine the changing the loops thing is something that has stuck around from the old woodbadge, since WB used to be specific to each program. Where did that come from, then? I don't have my Staff Guide right now to look and see if it mentions it in there.

Don, it might be from the first couple of years that WB for the 21st C. was offered. There have been a few tweaks to the basic program over that time. I took the course in 2003 and I believe the staff changed shoulder loops as they/we "progressed" from cubs to boy scouts at the time.

Personally I think the whole loop thing is silly. Let the participants and staffers wear the loops that match the positions they actually hold and stop with the games, would be my advice. It has little impact on the actual content of the program or on its delivery and just serves as a (slightly weird) distraction, IMO. But I'm sure others will disagree.

As Lisabob has pointed out, there have been small changes in the 21CWB course of the last few years.

When I staffed it in 04, the staff had to have 'striped' uniforms. This has been since dropped. We also did the changing of the loops during the course for troop guides (the rest of the staff used whatever loops they would normally wear).

I know that as part of the recent revamp that staff indicate their positions with their nametags, not with patches on their striped uniforms, so I don't know if they have also dropped the loop changing as well for TGs. Someone with more recent staff experience (and access to the latest Admin Guide) should be able to answer this.

I had forgotten this...

I was a scribe on our last Wood Badge course. I printed up name badges with position emblems and the troop guides changed name tags instead of uniforms. We did not have to buy shoulder loops. I used a color laser printer, and printed these up on cardstock, then laminated them.

Ed