Hi All,

I took the Trainer Development course this weekend in order to become a trainer for our Pack. My question is: how is this program run in other Districts? There are no districts in our Council that use pack trainers as far as I can tell. The District Training chair is new, and she is trying to get a handle on how this is run.

What courses beside Trainer Development is required? Is there any monitoring of the Pack Trainer by the district committee? Where does the Pack Trainer get the syllabus and training material? Our District Training chair bought some of the training material herself... That doesn't seem right to me.

In my mind, this should be like adjunct faculty. The district Training committee is the regular faculty. The adjunct staff can step in and help out with District training or perform training in the unit if needed. I think the Pack Trainer should have to check out the training material from the District. That way the district has some oversight on who is teaching what, when and to whom.

How does your District handle this?

Thanks for your help.

What courses beside Trainer Development is required?

The requirments for the training award state:

1. Complete Fast Start Training for the pack committee.

2. Complete Basic Leader Training for any Cub Scouting position.

3. Complete New Leader Essentials and be familiar with and able to explain the key elements of Leader Specific Training for all volunteer positions in the pack.

4. Complete Youth Protection Training.

5. Participate in a trainer development conference

for number 2 I would go with training for the pack committee, since you will be reporting to the chair, but you can take as much as you want

Is there any monitoring of the Pack Trainer by the district committee?

None that I am aware of, but that doesn't mean that you can't send the training chair a monthly update.

Where does the Pack Trainer get the syllabus and training material?

The local scout shop or you may able to borrow it from the district training committee

Our District Training chair bought some of the training material herself...

That's part of scouting, sometimes it is given to you other times you pay for it out of you own pocket. You might want to request a training budget be set up by the pack committee to cover your expenses.

"Leadership Training Committee Guide" would be at the very top of my list of items to get.

I'm currently a District Training Chair. I have a vision for how it should work but in actuality it doesn't work that way for us. The Pack Trainer has two main responsibilites: to maintain the Pack's Training Records and to get 100% of their Direct Contact Leadership, Cubmaster and Den Leaders trained. I would encourage monthly contact with your District Training Chair. I'd also encourage you to support her as much as possible. You will need to work with her to get training cards for any trainers that you do. You can also get the syllabus from her. She can get them from your District Executive. As the District starts to run training courses, you should send information on them to your Pack. Since you have taken TDC, you can also serve as a Course Director for courses in your District or run courses in your Pack. It's important to have instructors that have taken the course though. If you need any clarification on this or have other questions ask away or feel free to e-mail at willhi1979 at yahoo.com

Will