Once again I've been asked sort of last minute to help out with a cub leader training session this weekend. While I am really happy to be useful and I think I have a good sense of the program, I'm not happy about doing things last minute and on the fly - especially when it comes to running training sessions and imposing on other people's spare time! So although I said yes, once again I asked for a copy of the cub leader specific training syllabus (so I could prep) and once again I was told "there is no such thing."

I happen to know that there is because people here have referred to it on numerous occasions in the past. I'd like to quickly get a copy to share with my district training chair and DE. Even more, I'd like to see it myself in order to get ready for this training. If you have an electronic copy of it, could you please send it to me at cubleadertraining@yahoo.com ?

Thank you!

Can't help you with an electronic version, but whoever said there is "no such thing" in regards to a syllabus is wrong.

Its:

Cub Scout Leader Specific Training, No 34875

Your council training people should have a copy of ALL these leader specific courses. Heck, there should be a set for each district.

Thanks emb, I agree heartily. If I can lay hands on it before Saturday then I will immediately disabuse our training chair and DE of the notion that it doesn't exist and maybe convince them to order a full set for the district. If I can't get a copy before that time then I'll have to follow up later, which I will, because this marks the third time now I've been informed that the syllabus doesn't exist and I'm real tired of it.

Not to sound ungrateful about the person who stepped up to be our training chair - she's very nice and she does a better job than the person she replaced (who needed to hang his hat up 20 years ago, I think!). And most of all, she agreed to take the position! But she just doesn't seem to be one for planning these things out. Whereas for me, that approach epitomizes a great deal of what is wrong with the way "training" tends to go in the BSA!

It's not just a syllabus, it's a "script". It also includes posters,a CD with power point slides, and a VHS tape. When I was a trainer, I would spend a lot of time preparing handouts, flip charts, etc. If they won't give you the materials to do it right, I would politely refuse.

"It's not just a syllabus, it's a "script". It also includes posters,a CD with power point slides, and a VHS tape."

That's what a 'syllabus' is: all that stuff.

Anyway, as I said, your council should have a complete and up to date set of ALL training syllabi. If they don't, shame on them. And if they expect that training is delivered at the district level, they either need to make this material available to the districts, or better yet, have a set for each district.

You might also want to get a copy of the "Leadership Training Committee" booklet, #34169A (2006 edition). This booklet comes out about every year (gets updated pretty much every year, note the changing of the stock number, usually with the letter getting incremented), and gives info on ALL training courses, the national supply numbers for this stuff, and info on the training awards. Costs maybe $5. I get it every year. Now, while the Venturing section is usually about a year or two behind, I would think the Cub Scout & Boy Scout sections are more up to date (but then, they don't change as much).

I'm teaching Den Leader Specific tomorrow morning. The support CD I have has the supporting handouts and the Powerpoint slides. But it doesn't have the syllabus. I have those step-by-step pages, but they were given to me on paper when I first did this.

NOUN: Inflected forms: pl. syllabuses or syllabi (-b)

1. An outline or a summary of the main points of a text, lecture, or course of study.

That's one of the main reasons I gave up being a trainer. The SE was not happy with the number of training courses being offered, and stated, "how hard can it be, just go read them the stuff and play the videos." For me, each course was the same level of effort (preparing, finding a location, printing flyers, borrowing a laptop and projector from work, printing handouts, endless phone calls from people who can't read, etc), whether one person showed up or 50. It should be noted that the guy who replaced me as training chair two years ago has yet to deliver his first course.

(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

"That's one of the main reasons I gave up being a trainer. The SE was not happy with the number of training courses being offered, and stated, "how hard can it be, just go read them the stuff and play the videos." For me, each course was the same level of effort (preparing, finding a location, printing flyers, borrowing a laptop and projector from work, printing handouts, endless phone calls from people who can't read, etc), whether one person showed up or 50. It should be noted that the guy who replaced me as training chair two years ago has yet to deliver his first course. "

:(

Puhleeze. This is why we have poor training and poorly trained leaders. There is more to training the just "read them the stuff and play the videos." This is why you need training who both know how to present AND know the program (so they can expand upon what is in the script/video) to ensure the participants know the stuff.

2 years and no training.

I have yet to manage to follow the provided syllabus. I aim to hit on all the points, but the time schedule is unrealistic given that people want to share experiences and have questions answered. None of the other trainers I work with manage to follow the syllabus exactly either. Then again, I only have twenty years experience teaching at the university level. But in that case, I decide on what I present and how. That makes a huge difference.

Nevertheless, I was pleased to see that there *was* a syllabus, and I do try to follow it. I felt much better about what I supposed to cover and how. Giving the training is far more than play the tape, do this activity, and say these words. You share what you know, answer questions, fill in, expand, elaborate, and run out of time. The syllabus gives you a plan and provides some standardization. I wouldn't have been happy to do the training without it. I just can't quite follow it.

If you don't have the syllabus, get it.

If you have an opportunity, take "Train the Trainer". That polished some of my skills.

By the way, we expected 5 people Saturday and had 19 show up. Always make sure you have enough handouts or a way to make more.