BSA Training's and Neil Diamond

I have to admit to liking a lot of the songs that Neil Diamond has done over the years. My sister was what might be called a fan.

She would rush out and buy every new album soon after it was released.

She was always a little disappointed that about half the tracks were on just about every other Neil Diamond album.

That isn't to say that these tracks were bad or that there was anything wrong with them. But who needs 15 albums with "I am, I said." on each?

I'm starting to see this sort of thing happening in our BSA training's.

Over the weekend we went for the Sea Scout Quarterdeck Training.

Sure enough the very first thing they talked about was the Vision, what it is, why it is important and ...

The Scout sitting in front of me shook his head and said "No! Not again!!"

He'd sat through the "Vision" at NYLT and the OA Training's. He'd staffed NYLT.

In fact he'd seen and heard so much about Vision he was becoming hearing impaired!!

That isn't to say that vision is bad or that there was anything wrong with it. But who needs 15 courses with "Vision and Mission" on each?

It was nice to see the changes in the WB course, but please come on! Surely we have more imagination than to just flogging that poor old horse?

The next batch of 18 year old WB participants will be experts in Vision and mission, they will have been making rockets out of Pepsi bottles since they were in Cub Scouting, but sadly still will have problems tying a square knot.

They will have the vision and the mission, but without the skills to see it through the vision will remain a dream.

I'm happy to be a dreamer, but the Scouts who join Scouting didn't join to just dream.

Ea.

"In fact he'd seen and heard so much about Vision he was becoming hearing impaired!! "

LOL - That's a good one E-man. Sounds like something my son would say. I sometimes talk about our troop's vision with the PLC, and try to reinforce it in their planning. My lad (who gets it) gets frustrated with me at times. I explain to him that I have to repeat it for the guys who "just ain't gettin' it". Maybe that's what the BSA is hoping??? Maybe if they say it over and over, some of these folks who are inventin' their own local version of the BSA will get it.

I doubt if it will change, but I guess I understand why they do it.

Maybe if they say it over and over, some of these folks who are inventin' their own local version of the BSA will get it.

I think EagleInKY hit on something crucial.

Trainings are not just for olde tyme scouters to stand up on soap boxes and repeat platitudes. We all know the BSA has been around longer than any[most] of us, with the exception of Eamonn. There is some kind of strange phenomenon that occurs when a new leader gets into Scouting. They seem to want to re-invent the wheel and start creating their own version of Scouting - a proven organization for close to 100 years.

Now there are undoubtedly going to be aspects of BSA trainings which are repeated over and over. The school of thought is that a concept may not be heard or understood in one training, but it is likely to be heard or understood better after more trainings.

I am a great example of "not getting it". I dont how many times in the various trainings I have attended in which the concept of a Vision was introduced. However, it wasn't until Wood Badge that I finally got it. Or, put another way, it wasn't until after many repeats that the concept finally sunk in. Perhaps it was the way it was presented in Wood Badge, or simply after all the prior trainings I had I was able to grasp it.

Whatever the reason, I am glad it was again presented in Wood Badge, as I rely heavily on it now in much of what I do in Scouting.

We all know that new leaders, especially, will not be able to absorb everything presented in a given training. I personally went through Leader Specifics 3 times (old story), and I learned new things each time. I am also aware that well trained leaders may get bored hearing the same things repeated, but it is important to remember that there are likely many in that same training who are hearing it for the first time, or at least beginning to comprehend it.

Eagle Pete

To add to what eagle-pete said, there really isn't any 'repeats' of this.

We need to keep in mind that not everyone goes to all this training. Visioning is considered a major first step in leadership development. The idea that a leader must have a vision of what he things the group is and should do and become, and which he needs to convey to his followers so that they accept that vision and makes it real is very important. Most leadership development programs start off with this.

As there is little chance of getting everyone to take the same basic leadership training, regardless of age or program, this basic concept gets repeated.

Eamonn's scout needs to get over himself. He needs to put things in perspective and realize that 1) this material is repeated not to annoy him, but because the others around him may not know it and 2) he just may learn something new or make a new realization about it.

Too often many don't 'get this' and so shut things out and miss it.

"I'm happy to be a dreamer, but the Scouts who join Scouting didn't join to just dream."

The Scouts joined to have fun.

Let's see...What IS that vision thing?

Vision Statement

The Boy Scouts of America is the nation's foremost youth program of character development and values-based leadership training.

In the future Scouting will continue to

Offer young people responsible fun and adventure;

Instill in young people lifetime values and develop in them ethical character as expressed in the Scout Oath and Law;

Train young people in citizenship, service, and leadership;

Serve America's communities and families with its quality, values-based program.