Training award tenure question.

Can a scouter who is registered with a cub scout pack and a scout troop earn a cub scout training award and the boy scout training knot at the same time. I was told that since I was awarded a den leader knot a year ago that the tenure time would not apply to the tenure for the boy scout training knot. Since I perform a registered volunteer job in two different units, wouldn't my cub scout tenure be different from my boy scout tenure? Rules say tenure for one award can not be used for another award but aren't they two different things? I understand that if you are cubmaster and a den leader, which technically is not possible but happens, you could not earn both awards at the same time. Aren't the cub knot and the boy scout knot different since they are seperate units and programs?

Thanks for your input.

Here is the key to your answer:

"You may only count tenure for a position in which you are registered, and may not use the same tenure for more than one award."

So, as you have pointed out, you cannot be registered for more than one position, and therefore, your tenure cannot be applied to both positions at the same time.

Remember what the whole point is for these awards... to improve the training and quality of the leader (which is ultimately designed to improve the unit for the boys). This is not a race to see how fast and how many knots we can place on our uniform.

Eagle Pete

But you can be registered in two different positions if you're registered in two units.

I've thought about this question, too, as it seems a little bit of a gray area. I'll personally probably stick with the idea that it's not a race. Theoretically the district is supposed to approve these awards, so it would be their call.

The Cub Scout awards say "Dates of service used to earn this award cannot be used to earn another key or award." Clearly this means that other Cub Scout leader training awards cannot be earned during the same tenure. But the Boy Scout awards? How about the God and Service award? I'd say it does intentionally include Boy Scout awards, because it uses the term "key", which is only a Boy Scout award.

Oak Tree

I agree. Any exceptions to the tenure rule would need approval from the district.

As far as the religious award, some denominations may have different requirements (I have not researched every one), and so this may not apply to earning the religious award. Mine, for example, has no requirements for tenure as a Scout Leader. The tenure for my religious award only applies to the length of time I have served in a capacity in my church with the youth, and therefore, I could earn both the Cub Scouter award and my religious award at the same time. Tenure applied toward a Scout Leader award can only be used for the position in which you are registered at the time you are earning the award. You don't typically register with the BSA for church positions. Also, the two awards (Scout Leaders and religious) serve two different purposes IMO.

Addendum

The God and Service award I believe is not a BSA award, although it does include BSA service in its tenure requirements. It appears that questions regarding requirements for this award should be addressed to the P.R.A.Y. organization.

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:gBkLqMS5jU0J:www.praypub.org/pdf_docs/godandservice.pdf+god+and+service+award&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&client=firefox-a

Eagle Pete(This message has been edited by eagle-pete)

The religious award is different, it is not issued by the Boy Scouts, but rather praypub.org or the local diosese or other religious institution. The award is recognized by the Boy Scouts so tenure is not a question.

Religious awards are not issued by Programs of Religious Activity with Youth (PRAY). They are issued by individual religious groups. PRAY is a third party which partners with some, but not all, religious groups to facilitate the distribution of religious study curricula and, upon approval by the appropriate religious group, the medals.

please see http://www.praypub.org/main_frameset.htm