This sounds unusual to me..our course is charging $190 for participants..the price includes all their meals, including "rations" for the second weekend which they can embellish if they choose, all their course materials, name tags, cap and course t-shirt, pictures and awards, including beads and neckerchiefs and certificates when they are done. Troop Guides give participants gifts..not expected the other way around and we (TG's) also are responsible for the table decorations, etc. if we want them. Each patrol is alloted up to $15 for projects which will be reimbursed if they keep receipts and turn them in.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just returned from Weekend 1 of Wood Badge. I never was a girl scout, and I never was a camper. I have been in cub scouts for 11 months now.

I served last year as a Tiger Den Leader. My DE saw what I was doing and asked me to be the on the membership committee for the District. I am going to be cubmaster in my pack as soon as the paperwork goes through. I guess I'm on the fast track.

But my point is that Woodbadge did review a bunch of corporate hoopla, but the difference was that for three days I had to put it into practice, and not just for a few activities strung together loosely.

I feel that I can only expect from my boys what I can expect of myself. I can't ask them to do something that I won't do.

Most of the WB staff is from my district, and most of them are active in rountable, particulary on the CS side. So we have a lot of silliness and seriousness, but I have laughed more than I ever though possible in one weekend.

Someone once told me that "Training is like money; you can never have enough." From someone that knows nothing about backcountry camping, I am ready and willing to do what it takes to learn it in the next session.

For me, my wood badge beads will be more of a symbol of the personal development that I have and will make. I miss my patrol already.

The SPL has visited us for dinner and remarked that us Bears are setting an example for the other patrols and they are following what we do. There's nothing better than making the staff break out in a burst of laughter. (And they remark how unBEARable we are.)

I think that the staff has put an enourmous effort into putting the patrols together. They have mixed up Venturers, CS, BS, and committee leaders, ex-service men/women, newbies, dinosaurs (their term, not mine), and men/women. I can say that I have learned something valuable from each and every member of my patrol and our patrol guide.

While the WB'ers that I know from roundtable wouldn't divulge every detail, I can see their pride when they sing their part of the Gilwell song.

Spongebob,

Congrats on finishing your first weekend.. It sounds like you have really jumped into things head first without looking back! It's not BEARy often we see a Cub scouter jump into things so early on..this is GREAT! I know you will do great things for your pack..they don't know how lucky they are!!

sue

Spongebob:

Welcome to the Greater Bear Patrol! It sounds like you and your fellow Bears are already upholding the great Bear tradition.

One piece of advice: Don't get too upset when the prey patrols (that's, in case you didn't notice, ALL of them) get all riled up; it doesn't affect their flavor.

But seriously, it sounds like you're getting a lot out of Wood Badge already. It just gets better from here.

- Oren

WE3-41-03

BEAR

WE3-41-05

QM (& Exec. Chef.)

I just finished my first weekend as Course Director and everyone on staff was pasionate with their presentations and their interactions with participants. The participants had fun while they learned "The same old stuff" they have seen before. One difference, It was presented in a different light and from the heart. I have worked hard over the last year putting this course together. Through staff development, personal finances, and my own passion to give the participants the best course I could. Is it a "mountain top experience" for the participants. I think not only for the participants, but also for myself and my staff. When I went to Wood Badge, I became passionate about training and always working for the youth in my council, but staffing stirred up a different type of passion. One that drives me to be the best presenter I can and give the participants 150% from my heart.

David Harrison

Course Director

C-12-06

Lake Huron Area Council

• 2 weeks later...

Session 2 ended yesterday...and I am sad it ended, but glad to be back home with flushing toilets.

I had the time of my life. My renegade bear patrol performed the closing flag ceremony, and we did it with the seriousness and uttmost respect. Our Navy veteran bear helped us pull it all together. We surprised a lot of people.

As for the rest of the course, we were named renegades for a reason, which I will not divulge here for people that haven't been to Wood Bagde.

But it was an amazing experience learning how to be a leader and more importantly how NOT to be a leader.

Off to complete my ticket now....

Well done SpongeBob!

Not everyone can deal with Bears, not even other Bears!

On my course, the SPL was frustrated with us Bears, as were late to some Troop events and early for others. We pointed out to him that every single event for which we were early involved somebody feeding us and every single event for which we were late involved leaving a place where we were being fed.

"Damn it. We're BEARS!," we explained. He finally got it.

- Oren

WE3-41-03

BEAR

WE3-41-05

QM