"Part of my reluctance to attend Woodbadge was that I knew it to be advanced training and really didn't think I had the required skill base to attend. The only people in my District that I knew took the course were the old time experienced Scoutmasters. Don't see any woman in my District wearing the beads! "

Hooboy.

Two things here.

First off. What do you need to attend Wood Badge? You need to have completed Basic Training for your position. And you should have a year or two of experience as an adult.

That's it.

It used to be with WB that it was very exclusive and elite. Course were given every few years, so just because of that you had to wait for your chance. When I went thru in 1988, my council held courses every 3 years. But things have changed, especially under the new WB. Now Cub Scout leaders and Venturing leaders get to go, along with the Boy Scout leaders and district & council people. Most councils run them every year (some twice a year). Because courses need to have a minimum, most are very eager to fill the course, and its very easy to get in. Got basic training and been in for a few months, and you can usually go. (personally I feel you should wait atleast a year before going. If one hasn't gone to WB within their second year as a leader, I would have to wonder why)

Personally, from your comments, you are ready.

Second. No female scouter in your district has gone thru WB!!! Ridiculous!!! Are all the old stuck-in-the-mud scout leaders scaring them away? When I attended WB back in 1988 (my course had several female participants, and atleast one female staffer). On a course I staffed in 05, we had several female participants, and several staffers. My current council has their current WB course directed by a woman (the first) and next year will also have a female course director.

I guess down here in Florida we're a bit more progressive. :)

Final, different note. Also down here we have informal Wood Badge Associations. These groups will work to establish Wood Badge Scholarships, usually with the sale of patches and such or annual fee breakfasts. WB doesn't cost too much down here (around $200 or so), so its not difficult to attend.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bravo emb021!

The Wood Badge Association is a great idea. Obviously, this may not work in all areas, but it appears that yours works well.

I have never been in favor of "elitist" organizations. I believe they tend to foster a haughty and conceited attitude toward anyone who does not belong. I am so glad the BSA has been able to remove this aspect of Wood Badge.

I am in favor of making available to all, anything which has merit and can be of benefit.

Eagle Pete

Lest it be thought that we here on the east coast of Missouri are any less progressive than our Florida brethren, we, too, have a female Wood Badge CD this year. There were at least two female TGs in our WB troop and 12 women. Three female WBers in the troop I serve and three on our district adult leader training staff. Several of us in OA, too!

Vicki